Suddenly can't open SOME url's with pointer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by little bear, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. little bear

    little bear Guest

    Hi~~
    I usually try to figure this stuff out when it seems like common sense but
    this one, though it seems simple enough ~~I just can't figure out how or
    when my mouse/pointer stopped opening some but not all url's and or links.
    Sometimes they open, sometimes they just sit there like nothing tried to
    open them and sometimes depending on where I am (ie in McAfee firewall
    clicking on "get more info" on an inbound event) I actually receive an error
    msg "Open URL Failure" Errnum 2 Msg: The system cannot find the file
    specified...
    So...I don't know if I have a problem with my wireless mouse. Everything
    else is working fine.
    It's as though the pointer opens certain types of URL's but not others. Once
    I'm in OE, I am not able to open a link at all. I am forced to copy and
    paste or right click and choose "open in another window". This is only
    recently. Anyone?
    My kids may have changed a setting and I just don't know how to get back to
    it?
    patti

    little bear, Apr 30, 2006

  2. little bear

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In little bear spewed forth:
    Read this:

    http://www.mcse.ms/archive170-2005-7-1757966.html

    It covers the OE situation fairly well. As for links in McAfee firewall,
    that is most likely broken links. If they have modified their website or if
    the web site the link is pointing to has been changed, you will have URL
    errors. But maybe someone who actually uses that crap can be of more help.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006

  3. little bear

    little bear Guest

    spew (v.) To vomit or otherwise cast out through the mouth~~nice

    gee thanks Toolman~~you were rude but sadly not so helpful
    Guess I'll hang on until a tech friend in London (who most certainly doesn't
    have a chip on his shoulder) logs on and sorts it out for me.
    In any case...regardless of how I feel about McAfee, this is not a McAfee
    problem; I tried to give this group enough relevant data to point me in the
    right direction as this is a helpdesk for computers. Feel like I got
    bitchslapped for using too many words or something....no thanks tim

    little bear, Apr 30, 2006
  4. little bear

    Jimchip Guest

    You got pretty good advice. It seems like you either didn't follow the link
    offered or you didn't understand what it was telling you. You're mistaken in
    your claim that "this is a helpdesk for computers" and I don't see how
    "Toolman Tim" was rude. Don't bother replying to this.

    Jimchip, Apr 30, 2006
  5. little bear

    Whiskers Guest

    snip

    Perhaps your own or your NSP's filters are successfully blocking the
    current spate of abusive troll posts being made with the nics of other
    users; "Little Bear" isn't so lucky and hasn't yet learned to tell the
    difference.

    Whiskers, Apr 30, 2006
  6. little bear

    little bear Guest

    Thank you for your input Whiskers. I wouldn't have bothered to reply to the
    second poster and you're right~~the capitalized mess that actually did "spew
    forth" with my ng name attached was not my doing. To address the original
    issue; I did follow the link but it did not solve my problem.
    I had forgotten how abusive ng trolls can be. One more thing~~if this isn't
    a computer support group/help desk, what is it exactly (and I ask this very
    respectfully before I get flamed again).
    little bear.

    little bear, Apr 30, 2006
  7. little bear

    Trax Guest

    |>if this isn't
    |>a computer support group/help desk, what is it exactly (and I ask this very
    |>respectfully before I get flamed again).

    I guess you could consider it a free for all - non regulated; you just
    need to glean the info from the junk. - and not all info is good
    info...

    As for your problem you might go to the control panel / mouse
    and check you settings to see if anything could be set giving you your
    problem.

    Trax, Apr 30, 2006
  8. little bear

    little bear Guest

    I appreciate the reply Trax. I have also checked the mouse settings. I have
    a wireless mouse and keyboard. I'm in the middle of a move, currently in
    temp. housing while the contents of my office (software, etc) is packed with
    the rest of my home in a wharehouse somewhere. When that stuff and I meet
    again next week, I'll re-install the software and see if that helps. So I
    take it you'd better know what you're doing before you take all advice given
    here? Do trolls deliberately give bad info?
    little bear

    little bear, Apr 30, 2006
  9. little bear

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In little bear spewed forth:
    Ummm...if McAfee is giving you an ERROR message after you click, the mouse
    is working. If the links in OE are not working, the problem is in OE, not in
    the mouse.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  10. little bear

    little bear Guest

    Thanks Tim

    little bear, Apr 30, 2006
  11. little bear

    Whiskers Guest

    I think I've read in this group or another that recent 'Windows updates'
    have raised the 'security' settings in IE and OE. That may be all that's
    happened to "Little Bear"; in which case the answer may be simply to
    review and adjust the available settings in those programs.

    Whiskers, Apr 30, 2006
  12. little bear

    Trax Guest

    |>> and not all info is good
    |>> info...
    |
    |>here? Do trolls deliberately give bad info?

    Other than "format and reinstall", no, some really try to give good
    advice, but someone will usually call them on it - As Toolman Tim did
    on my mouse settings advice :)) - he's pry right but a mouse settings
    check wouldn't hurt - and I assumed you had already followed his
    previous advice without success.

    Trax, Apr 30, 2006
  13. little bear

    little bear Guest

    You may be on to something here. Prior to my problem surfacing, there were
    updates to Windows and to McAfee and they are automatic. (I have them set to
    automatic~~whether or not that's smart I don't know) I will check in to from
    that angle. Thanks again~!

    little bear, Apr 30, 2006
  14. little bear

    Whiskers Guest

    Automatic is good if you want to be as safe as Microsoft want you to be as
    soon as they want you to be, if you see what I mean; it does mean that you
    have to put up with 'things changing' without asking you first or telling
    you what the changes are, if Microsoft don't bother to flag the changes up
    when they make them.

    Whiskers, May 1, 2006