    (on AOL) has been having. It might be related, or coincidence, that
    everything fell apart after a speed regrade... (and no, seems not a
    speed/stability/attenuation/SNR problem after tests with my router).

    poster, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Bobby

    Geoffrey Guest

    You sure about that?

    Geoffrey, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    The prize goes to the people who suggested that my network settings had got
    corrupted.

    But no-one got the solution -- restoring the PC using system restore.
    Although I guess the WinSock fix would probably have worked too.

    I think that the problem was caused by a Windows update. I think that I
    switched off my PC during an update - Windows reported this and said that I
    could continue the shutdown but I think that my problems arose after this.

    Anyway, system restore solved my problem. In fact, system restore solves
    every (software) problem in my experience.

    Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Aug 14, 2005
  4. can also leave you with a broken windows installation requiring a
    re-install :-(

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Aug 14, 2005
  5. Bobby

    Rob Morley Guest

    It solves nothing in my experience, but that could be because I
    always disable it because of the problems that it has caused me in
    the past :)

    Rob Morley, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    It solves nothing in my experience, but that could be because I
    Yes, that might be the reason.

    Disabling system restore IMO is not a good idea. It solves 99% of software
    problems.

    Bobby, Aug 14, 2005
  7. Bobby

    Rob Morley Guest

    Why did you snip the bit that said "I always disable it because of
    the problems that it has caused me in the past"?

    Rob Morley, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Bobby

    Chip Guest

    I believe it induces a false sense of security in people, I have
    disabled it also, I prefer to backup using norton ghost :)

    Chip, Aug 14, 2005
  9. Bobby

    poster Guest

    To have the last word, perhaps thinking that a couple of posts about problems
    when system restore is used will be ignored if 'solves it in 99% of cases' is
    the last thing people see on Google in a year's time. FWIW, I don't have any
    System Restore in use, and in many cases it needs to be disabled when someone
    has had a virus problem, so the benefits of using it get lost quickly when it
    is (probably) seen as being useful. Dangerously, if a past restore point was
    infected, 'going back' to 'solve' a problem might introduce a trojan/virus to
    the system, once more :-( We lived without it in the past, didn't we :)

    --

    E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - <http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/>
    Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,

    USENET news service ? <http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4> (plans from under US$5)

    poster, Aug 14, 2005
  10. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    Dangerously, if a past restore point was
    Also dangerously, throwing your PC out of an upstairs window might cause
    your hard drive to malfunction.

    Bobby, Aug 14, 2005
  11. Bobby

    poster Guest

    It could be a worse outcome for your relative who happened to be underneath
    it when you decided to throw it. The difference is that throwing a PC from
    any window is clearly expected to cause significant problems, while getting
    the system to restore a past 'working' snapshot would be expected to assist
    with a problem, not cause more. Silly suggestion to make about throwing PC
    if there's meant to be any form of parallel between these two situations!

    poster, Aug 14, 2005
  12. Bobby

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    You mean it will make a dent in the tarmac? <g>

    Tiscali Tim, Aug 14, 2005
  13. Bobby

    Owain Guest

    It might also land on the courier coming to leave you a card telling you
    you're not in.

    Owain

    Owain, Aug 14, 2005
  14. Bobby

    Gaz Guest

    And, even if you cant get windows up and running, you can use the restore
    settings to recover your previous backed up registry.

    If you have system restore switched off, unless you manually backup your
    registry, and your registry files get corrupted, then your installation is
    unrecoverable.

    Gaz

    Gaz, Aug 14, 2005
  15. Bobby

    Gaz Guest

    but you can repair your registry from your system restore folder.......

    Not as simple as scanreg /restore (i dont understand why MS did this....)
    but it does work.

    erd commander is excellent at accessing full system restore functionality as
    well....

    Gaz

    Gaz, Aug 14, 2005
  16. Bobby

    Quaoar Guest

    Assuming that the problem PC runs XP, download a copy (Google) of
    winsockxpfix.exe and lspfix.exe. Run both (although winsockxpfix seems
    to do the work of both) to repair layered services that can become
    corrupted for no apparent reason that I have been able to ascertain.
    The corruption leads to exactly the type of problem you describe.

    Quaoar, Aug 14, 2005
  17. Bobby

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    Is it likely to fix a problem which I have with my laptop?

    The laptop normally connects to the internet via my router, using its
    ethernet connection - no problem. However, if I am away from home, I use it
    to dial into the internet, using it's built-in modem. The problem is this:

    If I dial in and then disconnect, I cannot connect again without re-booting.
    Actually, that's not strictly true. I can *connect* to an ISP but I can't
    actually *do* anything. If I look at the config in ipconfig /all, it's
    apparent that it's left behind a stray PPP record which I can't get rid of
    without re-booting - and although dialling in again creates a new one, it
    doesn't pick up the gateway and DNS addresses properly. I've tried all the
    ipconfig options (dnsflush, etc.) but nothing works.

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Tiscali Tim, Aug 15, 2005
  18. Bobby

    Quaoar Guest

    Give winsockxpfix.exe a try for this. It is essentially harmless, IMO,
    based on the lack of negative comments on its use.

    Quaoar, Aug 15, 2005