    ryan.wisbey Guest

    My internet seed has slowed considerably for no apparent reason. What can
    be done?

    ryan.wisbey, Jul 13, 2003

  2. ryan.wisbey

    Me2U Guest

    You reap what you sow.

    So what kind of connection is this? Two tin cans with a wire stretched between them or something more modern?

    Me2U, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Clear out temp internet cache, make sure no one else is "sharing" your
    connection, do a tune up on your computer, provide more info in your
    posts ...

    Roger Hartley, Jul 13, 2003
  4. ryan.wisbey

    ftran999 Guest

    As others have pointed out you need to be more specific. When you say your
    internet speed has slowed down, do you mean it takes a long time to connect
    to sites. Is it that pages take a long time to load and files take a long
    time to download. There are ways to test the speed of your connection. I
    would go to broadbandreports.com and do a speed test. If the results are
    lower than you expect there are a couple things you can do. You may need to
    tweak your registry settings. You can dl a tweak at broadbandreports or you
    may need to release/renew your i.p. address. To do this in Windows 98 (not
    familiar with xp) from the run command type winipcfg. A box will appear.
    Use the drop down arrow to choose your adapter. Click release and all the
    numbers should turn to zeros. Click renew and your i.p. address should
    reappear. Click OK. Also if you are using a cable modem it sometimes helps
    to unplug it for about 5 minutes. Also the problem may be somewhere on the
    net itself. To find out if this is the case you need to do a traceroute.
    To do this is Windows 98 (not sure about XP) type "tracert (any website)"
    without the quotes. So for example you could use tracert www.yahoo.com.
    You will then get a list of destination hops from your computer to the site
    of your choice showing the response time for each hop. The lower the number
    the better. If a number appears much higher than the others, it is at that
    point where the problem is. If that is the case and you can trace the
    problem to your ISP you may want to contact them.

    ftran999, Jul 13, 2003
  5. ryan.wisbey

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as ryan.wisbey continued:
    Maybe you have installed Vasectomy.exe which is guaranteed to slow your seed
    to less than a trickle.

    slumpy, Jul 13, 2003
  6. try calling your server and see what they say 1st. it might be your hookup
    if you are using dsl broadband or any other device other than dailup or if
    you are using dailup it might be in your phone lines.

    MELAD MARJI SR, Jul 13, 2003