    not fail in Safe Mode or dos mode?

    Any help is apprciated,
    Thanks

    walterlane, May 5, 2007

  2. Sounds more likely a heat problem. Your CPU fan is either not working
    right or cannot move enough air to cool the processor. Make sure all
    dust that may clog cooling vents, etc. are clean. Make sure the fan is
    working correctly. If there's any problem with it, slowing down, so on,
    replace it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 5, 2007

  3. walterlane

    Vanguard Guest

    If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode then you are loading software
    in normal mode that is causing the problem. It is possible that you are
    constantly busy and which causes more generated heat, like from the CPU.
    So monitor your CPU temperatures. Your motherboard maker might have a
    monitoring program or you could use SpeedFan (controls fan speeds and
    also monitors temperatures). The more programs that are running the
    more stress on the system the more current gets consumed (to generate
    that extra heat). It is possible your power supply went south. Mine
    couldn't handle the load after 4 years with intermittent OS halts and
    power downs although no hardware had been added. A new PSU (at much
    higher wattage) fixed that problem. However, you should first start
    investigating which programs are not loaded in Safe Mode.

    Vanguard, May 5, 2007
  4. walterlane

    Pennywise Guest

    Different angle (it could be anything)

    Safe and dos mode working does indicate a driver; you need drivers for
    your MB, maybe when you hit a bad cap is when you bite it.

    http://www.badcaps.net/
    http://tinyurl.com/23x3nt google images

    Pennywise, May 5, 2007
  5. walterlane

    walterlane Guest

    snip

    I should have mentioned, I have started in normal mode with all
    startup items disabled.

    walterlane, May 6, 2007
  6. walterlane

    walterlane Guest

    A little clarifing: I have tried disabling all the startup items using
    startup utility, msconfig, and still the problem persists. I was
    thinking that the big difference between this and safe mode is the
    shut down menu. Normal mode allows you to check a button to shut down
    and the computer goes off. Safe mode wil take you to the dafe to trun
    off computer screen in win98 and you have to manually turn the
    computer off. Can I disable the driver that make the shut dowm option
    in normal mode work so I could just shut down the computer manually.
    I don't mind replacing the power supply if that is for sure the
    problem but thing are a bit tight right now and I hate to do that and
    it not be the trouble. Thanks for your great resopnses. I'll double-
    check those cable connections too.

    walterlane

    walterlane, May 6, 2007
  7. walterlane

    Vanguard Guest

    Normal mode, regardless that you disabled items in msconfig, is not as
    restrictive as Safe Mode. You are still loading programs in normal mode
    that do not load in Safe Mode. Maybe your anti-virus software runs with
    drivers and those load in normal mode.

    Vanguard, May 7, 2007