    Very puzzling. It wasn't a power cut, the radio was still going. Trend micro
    is still connected. It's never done that before.
    It's a puzzle. Any ideas? Hackers? Lightning somewhere?

    geopelia, Sep 4, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Me Guest

    Could be any of many things. A typical reason is that it shut down to
    prevent the CPU from overheating, which could be happening as a result
    of dust building up over time on the heat-sink under the fan assembly.
    You could download a software program which monitors CPU temperature, or
    remove the cover and take a look.
    Cleaning it out is a relatively straight-forward job, should only take a
    tech a few minutes, as I assume you might not want to DIY.
    If it was something else, unless it happens repeatedly, it might be a
    bit harder to find out what the problem is. There's an "event viewer"
    in windows which can sometimes be useful to help identify if it was a
    driver crash, for example linked to a hardware fault in a graphics card etc.
    If it doesn't happen again, and it's not dust, then forget about it,
    take it as a reminder to save any work you might be doing on it in case
    it does crash when you're doing something important.

    Me, Sep 5, 2013

  3. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    In my expeience it's just one of those things with a Windows install that's
    been going for a while. Especially if you're using Facebook which uses a
    couple of third-party add-ons with your browser.

    Nothing to worry about... *unless* it keeps happening. Then we can help you
    troubleshoot it. :)

    Best,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thank you. I've noticed Facebook jumps around a lot when I'm scrolling up or
    down.
    Perhaps it is the same sort of thing.
    It doesn't worry me if it's "just one of those things". I've just got
    Facebook for friends and family.
    I'm still on XP, but got everything put on to a new computer last year.

    geopelia, Sep 5, 2013
  5. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Facebook is actually quite demanding of computer power for a website so,
    with you using an older machine that's to be expected to a certain extent.
    Yes, same here. Family, especially the younger members, prefer the way
    Facebook allows them to be lazy. Instead of emailing family members with
    news they just post it on Facebook and expect me to check now and then. I
    don't like it but I'm not going to complain too much. Everything has good
    and bad points. If it weren't for the internet I'd have gone (more) insane.
    Being essentially a shut-in (largely due to finances) an active mind like
    mine wouldn't respond well to lack of stimulus. It's not the same as having
    I still use XP on my laptop (which is my main day-to-day machine) too. I
    find it still works fine for email, websites, newsgroups and 90% of the
    things I want from a computer. For the balance, essentailly gaming, I have a
    desktop machine running Windows 7.

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Sep 6, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Me too. With Hubby sick for so long the internet was a way to keep up with
    the world.
    For an 84 year old female I have some rather surprising interests, so I've
    been told.

    My sister doesn't have a computer or a phone. Writing a letter in Word and
    posting it snail mail to UK is the only way to communicate.
    I've started doing jigsaw puzzles on the computer. And good old Tetris and
    Code Cracker.

    Isn't stuff like names after -- supposed to be deleted by the computer? I
    delete it anyway.

    geopelia, Sep 6, 2013
  7. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It's good for that all right. Plus for reading 'stuff'. I've always been a
    very curious person - I used to annoy my teachers at school because I often
    asked questions that they didn't know the answers to. Now, with the internet
    I can find out almost anything I want to know in minutes.

    Often I'll 'look something up' that I'm curious about, then open heaps of
    other links and just 'read the internet'.
    That's a shame. Letters are so 500 years ago and even phones are so 100
    years ago... There are many benefits to modern technology. My parents in
    Aussie email me regularly. My father's a little older than you are but he
    doesn't use the computer as much as you do. I applaud you, it's a great
    resuorce for those of us who don't have the wherewithal to travel about lots
    and have busy social lives.. :)
    There you go! There's lots to keep us occupied and sane.
    Proper usenet clients are supposed to, yes. However not all comply these
    days. It's actually "-- ", as in hyphen hyphen space, all alone on a line.
    It's called a signature delineator and it's a usenet 'rule' going back to
    the dark and dusty beginnings of usenet.

    Best regards,

    ~misfit~, Sep 7, 2013
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I do the same.
    "Will you walk into my parlour
    Said the spider to the fly...................." :)
    Occupied all right, but sane? That's debatable.
    I'll carry on deleting it.

    geopelia, Sep 7, 2013
  9. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The good thing is I don't think we'll ever get to the end. ;-)

    True. In fact I can debate it for ages - at least four or five hours - much
    longer if I have company!
    Sounds like a great plan! ;-)

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Sep 9, 2013
  11. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, the first is just an attempt to cash in...

    The latter page is much better - and vaguely familiar. However it irks me
    somewhat that people routinely make assumptions that 'people' are
    able-bodied and have funds:

    "Now turn off your computer, and go out and have fun"?

    Shit yeah! Can you just fix my incapacitating back injury and give me time
    to re-build my finances? Oh, and get the last 15+ years of my life back?
    Thanks.

    (Sorry, you know that's not aimed at you. It's just I see statements like
    that all of the time and apparently I'm getting more sensitive to them. <g>)

    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Turn off the rain, "strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble
    knees"
    Then I'll go out and try to tame two years of neglect in the garden.

    geopelia, Sep 10, 2013