Subnetting, private networks & default routes

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by chriswaltham, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. It has no impact on the broadcast domain. Broadcasts never pass through
    a router unless you explicitly enable it with helper-address.

    Barry Margolin, Apr 26, 2006

  2. chriswaltham

    Chris Guest

    I am thinking about using helper-address in the future, as I am
    contemplating (but haven't decided for sure, yet) about passing DHCP
    leases from the main site (aka the 2516) out to the remote site. IIRC,
    though, you can explicitly configure helper-address to pass only
    certain types of broadcast traffic... right?

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 26, 2006

  3. Right, with "ip forward-protocol". Anyway, once the broadcast is
    relayed using helper-address, it's no longer a broadcast (unless the
    helper-address is a directed broadcast address of one of the router's
    other interfaces).

    Barry Margolin, Apr 27, 2006