    the 2503 supports this. However I do believe that the 2610 with a > 12.2T
    IP Plus IOS will support this. You will need to change the encapsulation to
    802.1q to allow you to create and use sub interfaces.

    PES, Aug 1, 2004

  2. PES

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["slipstream_242"]

    | can sub interfaces only be created on fastethernet ports?

    No, there are a *few* Cisco routers which can create 802.1q subinterfaces
    on 10 Mbps Ethernet ports. 2503 is not one of them, probably not 2610
    either.

    | I have tried this
    | on a 2503 and a 2610 and get a message saying that ip routing is only
    | allowed when configuring a sub interface as part of vlan configuration.

    Yes, it means you need "encapsulation dot1q <vlan-id>" before you can
    configure IP routing on the subinterface.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Hiya all.

    I`m trying to configure sub interfaces on my router but it doesn't seem to
    want to know. I think I know what the problem is but would like to know if I
    am right or not.

    can sub interfaces only be created on fastethernet ports? I have tried this
    on a 2503 and a 2610 and get a message saying that ip routing is only
    allowed when configuring a sub interface as part of vlan configuration.

    The ICND book I am working from shows the interface as fastethernet but the
    ones on both of my routers are normal Ethernet and not fastethernet

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Gordon

    slipstream_242, Aug 1, 2004
  4. PES

    Hansang Bae Guest

    2610's can do it just fine.

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Aug 2, 2004
  5. IIRC, you need a + image, as well as being new enough. I think you
    probably need a T train image in the 12.2 line for it.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 2, 2004
  6. there must be some sort of IOS revision required, on my 2610 which has
    12.2(5d) the only e command under the sub interface is exit.

    slipstream_242, Aug 2, 2004
  7. PES

    Les Mikesell Guest

    I thought you needed a 100M interface, but perhaps this is IOS dependent.

    Les Mikesell, Aug 9, 2004
  8. PES

    PES Guest

    Some 10mb int can support it.