    And hold the camera even more unstably? 2 arms
    extended-stand?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 20, 2013

  2. This bird is sitting, and you can presumably get close enough
    that the active focus point only covers the eye. (Yep, they're
    usually active for a larger area than the etched part in the
    ground glass). Unless that photo is an extreme crop, that is.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 20, 2013

  3. The AF knows for every focus points:
    - distance and direction of focus compared to the current
    lens focus setting --- or "no contrast (e.g. sky)"
    - approximate absolute focus setting of the lens right
    now

    So the AF sees in 3D ... not just in the 2D photos are in.

    Therefore the AF sees that the plane is *much* closer to the
    lens than the trees. If it saw the man down at the bottom,
    it again would be much closer.

    Now, physics dictate that one can change the distance to the
    lens only gradually --- one can't teleport --- and thus the
    range to the plane is only gradually changing. It doesn't
    matter if it also shifts from AP point to AF point (which
    again won't be jumpy, but gradually, even if very fast),
    if a neighbouring AF point of the plane suddenly jumps to
    the approximate distance of the plane and the original one
    suddenly jumps to the background of the others (off plane)
    near it, then of course the plane must have moved by 1 AF
    point and this one should be switched active then.

    Same if a tree suddenly comes into view in front of the plane
    you're tracking: the AF jumps to "much closer" and thus the
    camera knows it's off target.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 20, 2013
  4. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Ever see a Steadicam?

    J. Clarke, May 21, 2013
  5. How much does one weight? Doesn't it need to be adjusted
    exactly for the wearer and camera (at least it's weight?

    Don't the usual users of Steadycams have rather large displays
    to see what they're filming, and not some jeveler's loupe
    type viewer?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 22, 2013
  6. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Yes which is why I find manual focusing useful as the subject might not yet be in view.
    Not on a camera no, I have used the built in magnifier if that's what you mean.

    Whisky-dave, May 22, 2013
  7. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, May 22, 2013
  8. Of course you can always do suboptimal programming.
    I'm describing what is possible because the PDAF knows distance.

    A simple method possible with even a single AF is to delay a
    moment if the distance suddenly jumps closer (and to continue
    focussing the previous measured rate of reducing or increasing
    distance) --- until either something close to the expected
    distance is found again or the time-out has reached. (And you
    can always add configurable timeout or the allowed change of
    velocity parallel to the optical axis --- or an AF Stop button.)

    As to the aircraft in front of trees: using the closest AF
    measurement tracks the aircraft just fine --- and that method
    is a real old hat, back from when multiple AF points could
    be in use at the same time. It was an old hat with the 20D,
    for example.
    Savageduck has the sourcecode of the D300s' focussing program?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 22, 2013
  9. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I always managed to twist the focusing ring to focus on what I wanted to focus on at that instant, might not have always worked. If I wanted the left hand side in focus then I focused on that.

    Can I do this while following the subject, I hate the idea of reapeadly going back to my camera controls it's like watching someone on their mobile phone (not talking).

    Do you think people let the camera focus because there''s no other option ?
    do people leave there cameras on auto because there's no other option.

    So in the furture when video camera get better we'd be better off shooting video.

    No I make the choice with manual that's what it means.

    Who can me or the autofocus system ?

    Whisky-dave, May 22, 2013
  10. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I find it easier especailly at gig wher elow lights and bright lights mingle and flash and you never know quite what's happening and when.

    Whisky-dave, May 22, 2013
  11. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, May 22, 2013
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    To clarify, I was not the least bit confused. I try to be precise in my
    language. All manual lenses are non-afs. perhaps if nospam used
    precision in his language, it might be an interesting discussion. but of
    course he will accuse me of twisting.

    PeterN, May 23, 2013
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i specifically said mechanical linkage so that there would be no
    ambiguity about what was meant by non-afs lenses. i spelled it out
    because afs is a nikon specific term, and non-nikon users might not
    know what it meant.

    afs lenses have a motor in the lens, non-afs lenses do not, and have a
    mechanical linkage coupling to the motor in the camera body.

    i did not say non-af lenses, and the discussion was also about tracking
    autofocus, which means it *had* to be some sort of autofocus lens, not
    manual focus.

    you are indeed confused and you refuse to admit you are wrong.

    Guest, May 23, 2013
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Which cameras have them?

    RichA, May 23, 2013
  15. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Well, LCD images are stabilized now, but I don't use one enough to
    render any kind of verdict as to how good that is.

    RichA, May 23, 2013
  16. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Depends on the version. The professional Steadicam is quite large and
    heavy (in one of the Alien movies you see one being used as a weapon
    mount) but the "Junior" model and the homebrews weigh under 10 pounds
    and aren't really "worn".
    They don't use eye-level finders if that's what you mean but the flip
    out display on a consumer camcorder works fine--so does the display on
    the back of most digital still cameras. The point is that there are
    ways to stabilize a camera that don't involve pressing it against your
    body.

    J. Clarke, May 23, 2013
  17.
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 24, 2013
  18. .... what it does, usually, at least.
    Not even the original programmers will know how it behaves in
    every situation. There *are* bugs, and not all of them are
    known.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 24, 2013
  19. RichA

    Mort Guest

    Hi,

    How about the new Hasselblad, which is a Sony camera with a few goodies
    glued on and the name Hasselbad attached, at an incredibly high price.
    As I have said in other contexts, you can put a sign on a cow's forehead
    saying, "I am a racehorse", but it is actually still a cow.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, May 28, 2013
  20. RichA

    Sandman Guest

    Hi,

    How about the new Hasselblad, which is a Sony camera with a few goodies
    glued on and the name Hasselbad attached, at an incredibly high price.
    As I have said in other contexts, you can put a sign on a cow's forehead
    saying, "I am a racehorse", but it is actually still a cow.[/QUOTE]

    Haven't kept up with Hasselblad, which one is the new one?

    Sandman, May 28, 2013