Stupidest, most overpriced, most poorly executed camera in the lasttwo years

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 14, 2013.

  1. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    J. Clarke, May 17, 2013

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Some cameras have focus confirmation with old lenses. noapam assumes all
    cameras do. Yours obviously doesn't, but you knew that going in. Enjoy it.

    PeterN, May 17, 2013

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, May 17, 2013
  4. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    it's whatever is at the selected focus point(s).
    that's why autofocus works better. the camera is faster than a human
    and can track moving subjects, even while you fire off multiple shots.
    [/QUOTE]

    Depends on the lens. e.g. the original Nikon 80-400. If you don't
    believe me, who owned one, read the reviews. Some lenses focus faster
    than others.

    PeterN, May 17, 2013
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Although the settings on my camera are slightly different, I know the
    physical settings. My lack of understanding is when and how to use them.
    Something that can only come with practice. For example: Yesterday I
    spent several hours learning how to use multiple exposure to obtain the
    effects I was looking for. While I have not perfected the technique, I
    am starting to understand the principles. Many of the features take time
    and understanding.

    PeterN, May 17, 2013
  6. You didn't actually read , did you?

    The lens is OLD and only has manual focusing. No focus confirmation in the
    camera because of that.[/QUOTE]

    Neil-

    Back in the days of the split-image focusing aid, it did not work for
    lenses with a small aperture. Somewhere around f/8, one half of the
    split image would be black.

    I understand modern autofocus systems, including focus confirmation, are
    also limited by the lens' maximum f/stop. What is the f/stop of your
    500mm mirror lens?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, May 17, 2013
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i didn't say all cameras did, and that's not what he said anyway.

    old lenses is not what defines whether or not there's focus
    confirmation.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    although the 80-400 is not that fast, the camera is still going to be
    able to track a moving subject faster than you can. it only needs to
    make very minor adjustments to the focus, not rack the entire focus
    movement.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Which isn't always where you want the focus point to be, hopefully it's in
    the middle, which is where most shots need to be sharp.[/QUOTE]

    which is why there are multiple focus points, or you position the
    camera so that one (or more) is on the subject, although that may not
    always work (and wouldn't with manual focus either).
    lock it or set it to not auto-track. it's up to the user.
    you did that only because there was no other option.
    i didn't say that at all.
    with manual focus, you don't have the choice. it's made for you.
    you can still set a lens to its hyperfocal distance.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    On most DSLRs, including the D300s both of us use, have a little button
    labeled "AF lock".[/QUOTE]

    or just half-press, but that's not the issue.

    aiming the camera, focusing and then recomposing can cause focus errors
    in some situations.

    <http://www.visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm>

    <http://digital-photography-school.com/the-problem-with-the-focus-recomp
    ose-method>
    none of that will work with a manual focus lens, which was the original
    issue.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    You said: "why not use the camera's focus confirmation?" Implicit in
    that statement is that his camera has focus confirmation. Maybe it does,
    maybe it doesn't. Maybe he, for some reason is unable to effectively
    able to use it,even if it has the feature.

    True.

    PeterN, May 17, 2013
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Your engineering skill issovaluable, that you could have made millions
    of dollars, making that modification. It's a crying shame you did not
    have your predictive skills a few years before Nikon came out with the
    new version. Indeed since there are a lot of the old models out there,
    why dont you start a modification service. I certainly would haveliked
    to see such a service.

    PeterN, May 17, 2013
  13. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, May 17, 2013
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    The zoom feature (one button push) on cameras with high resolution
    EVF's and LCD's easily beats any optical viewfinder when it comes to
    critical focusing.

    RichA, May 17, 2013
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    especially if you have one of those.

    the nikon d3200 can autofocus down to ev -1 and the d4 can autofocus to
    ev -2. tht's fairly typical of modern slrs although some are 1 or two
    stops worse. still, that's very low light.

    the lens needs a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (and f/8 on some
    cameras, such as the d4).

    good luck focusing on ground glass in those conditions.
    the focus point is not very big.
    where was the focus point?

    it's certainly not any easier with a ground glass.

    Guest, May 18, 2013
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i didn't say it did.

    you pick where the active focus point is.
    and my point is that you tell the camera what you are trying to do.
    put a focus point on a branch edge, you pick which one, and it focuses.

    you'll probably want a smaller aperture for a wider depth of field,
    since there's a bit of a range to cover.

    Guest, May 18, 2013
  17. RichA

    Guest Guest

    In the case as stated by PeterN it is the issue, as he states above.[/QUOTE]

    that's a different issue.
    i introduced it in the first line quoted above. i could have spelled
    out focus recompose but i guess i assumed people were smarter than i
    gave them credit for.
    he considers most things overpriced failures. nothing new there.

    Guest, May 18, 2013
  18. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i never said all cameras had it. more lies from you.

    i simply asked why not use it. if the camera doesn't have it then
    that's the answer.
    so you agree with me, but just want to argue.

    Guest, May 18, 2013
  19. RichA

    Guest Guest

    more irrelevant babble.

    no modification is needed. tracking autofocus works fine with the old
    80-400, as well as non afs lenses (mechanical linkage). i've done it
    many times with various lenses.

    Guest, May 18, 2013
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    select one active focus point and put it on the eye.

    Guest, May 18, 2013