    (for a mirrorless FF) Nikon and Canon customers, even at $2800. Now,
    they are stuck with another curiosity.

    http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx1

    RichA, May 14, 2013

  2. RichA

    Nick Fotis Guest

    Personally, I am fascinated by this camera.

    It could be called the direct descendant of the medium format Fuji GW690
    which I own.

    And that Zeiss lens nearly touches the sensor, as far as I know.

    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 14, 2013

  3. RichA

    philo  Guest

    The camera got very good reviews but I cannot believe the camera is
    really worth that kind of money. Having Carl Zeiss on the lens may
    justify it for some...but not me.

    With my Canon 50D and a "modest" 28-105mm lens I can get a 24" x 36"
    (approx) print so razor sharp that it beat my medium format camera which
    I then retired for good.

    Possibly a good camera for those with money to burn...one of the
    reviewers mentioned that he used the camera to take "snapshots".

    philo , May 14, 2013
  4. RichA

    Nick Fotis Guest

    The only troublesome part I could identify from the reviews is the slow
    AF, and the difficulty of focusing in low light. Maybe the small battery
    is a limit.
    The 28-105 lens is adequate (not great), usually I prefer using the
    24-70/2.8L on my 5D, despite the weight (having this lens hanging on my
    neckstrap together with a 5D-class body, can be very tiring).
    I admit this is a specialized camera, for people wanting image quality
    at a very compact size.
    If I was to buy a fixed-lens compact camera, I think I would go for the
    Fuji X100S instead, or the Olympus OM-D if I wanted interchangeable lenses.

    The truth is, I am 'married' to Canon due to the relatively large
    investment in lenses accumulated over 15+ years.

    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 14, 2013
  5. RichA

    philo  Guest

    On 05/14/2013 08:12 AM, Nick Fotis wrote:

    Correct...it's a good lens but not top-of-the line by any means.
    I bought it with my 35mm Rebel and have kept it all along.
    It's now on it's 3rd camera.

    Some day I hope to buy a top-line lens for the camera...but the shots I
    get with this lens are so good, I am in no rush to get another lens.

    usually I prefer using the

    philo , May 14, 2013
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    If you are a died-in-the-wool DSLR'er, you wouldn't buy a mirrorless
    except (perhaps) as a portable body. However, people who LIKE
    mirrorless cameras won't buy it because of the fixed lens. At least
    Canon's "M" which looks superficially similar can change lenses.

    RichA, May 15, 2013
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Whatever anyone says, an LCD in anything brighter than cloudy
    conditions is just plain HORRIBLE to use. And since LCD's can't be
    diopter corrected like EVF's and DSLR optical viewfinders, 50% of the
    population have to wear glasses if they intend to do any manual
    focusing.

    RichA, May 16, 2013
  8. I'm glad to see I am not alone in having difficulties with an LCD
    display out of doors. Judging by the lack of optical viewfinders in less
    expensive cameras, I thought I might be handicapped :)

    James Silverton, May 16, 2013
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    oh yes they can, with focus confirmation, focus peaking or just zooming
    into the image 100%, and at lower light levels too.

    or let the camera do the focusing, which can do a better job and faster.

    Guest, May 16, 2013
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    why not use the camera's focus confirmation?

    Guest, May 16, 2013
  11. RichA

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    An LCD viewfinder, like the one that comes standard with the Olympus OM-D
    and can be bought as an accessory for other Olympus u4/3 cameras, has an
    eyecup you can mash against your face to solve this problem, just like a
    DSLR. There is also has a little knurled wheel for diopter correction.
    I'll conceed the manual focusing woes, but there are workarounds, such
    as magnifying a portion of the image while focusing.

    I wonder why, though, since the image is provided via wire rather than
    optical path, they don't make the detatchable viewfinder a separate thing
    like a jeweler's loupe so you don't need to mash the body of the camera
    against your face.

    Paul Ciszek, May 16, 2013
  12. RichA

    Guest Guest

    whatever you want.
    it's very useful.
    it's hard to focus if you keep moving the camera around, and in some
    cases, it will change the focus.
    only if you don't know what you're doing.
    depends what tricks you want it to do.

    pick one focus point, put it on your subject and focus until you get
    confirmation. some cameras even beep.

    it's no different than putting the split-image or microprism part of a
    focusing screen on your target and focusing, except for being less
    accurate than had you used focus confirmation.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's more accurate than you are, and in much lower light too.
    whatever is under the selected focus point.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  14. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I thought it was what the camera was currently aimed at.

    Which is a pain if your subject actually moves quickely.

    Must be why they invented autofocus because peole donl;t know what they want in focus.

    I'd just want it to focus on what I wanted in focus.

    By the time that happens the shot over.
    When I did that the lens remained at the same focus until I changed it, it didn't vary depending on what the camera was pointing at.

    I used to use my eye for focus confirmation, those were the days :)

    Whisky-dave, May 17, 2013
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    completely wrong.

    the autofocus system is still active, regardless of which lens. using a
    manual focus lens just means the user has to manually turn the focus
    ring.

    focus confirmation means that when the subject is in focus, an led will
    light and/or the camera will beep, indicating that the user should stop
    turning the focus ring.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  16. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    It is currently aimed at a diamond ring. Do you want the focus on the
    front facet of the diamond, the widest point of the stone, the points of
    the setting, or what?

    The benefit of the LCD from my viewpoint is that you can zoom in on the
    point that you want to be in focus and adjust until it's sharp. It
    serves the same function as an eyepiece magnifier but you can move the
    point you are looking at around instead of just being able to look at
    the center of the finder.
    I gave up on "focus confirmation"--too many blurry shots that "focus
    confirmation" told me were supposed to be sharp. Might work OK for
    snapshots but not for anything critical.

    J. Clarke, May 17, 2013
  17. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    I can see why there would be no autofocus, but why would there be no
    focus confirmation?

    J. Clarke, May 17, 2013
  18. RichA

    Guest Guest

    I thought it was what the camera was currently aimed at.[/QUOTE]

    it's whatever is at the selected focus point(s).
    that's why autofocus works better. the camera is faster than a human
    and can track moving subjects, even while you fire off multiple shots.
    depends on the subject, but if the shot is over with that, it certainly
    will be over using any other method of manual focus.
    it still does. autofocus doesn't mean continuous focus, unless you want
    that functionality.
    only because there was no other option. now there is.

    Guest, May 17, 2013
  19. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, May 17, 2013
  20. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Which isn't always where you want the focus point to be, hopefully it's in the middle, which is where most shots need to be sharp.

    it isn;t it's making adjustments faster but if you're follwong a car or sportsperson its handy not to have it re-aadjust.
    One of my fists spoerts was taking photos of power boat racing, I used a 135mm (35mm camera) hand held and adjusted the focus, and as the boat came into focus clicked. If I'd had the focus constantly changing it's put me off.

    But as you say digital is better because now I can set up a 4k camera on video
    and pissed off to the pub in stead of standing there taking photos, come back an hour later with a HD movie that I can take frame from as still.
    The olny thing that'd be blurry would be me :)

    Didntl; for me, some relied on luck btu pre focussing sorted most of that out, and with manaully turning a ring you soon get a feel for such things, or rather I did.

    True but you need to decide which is best on a shot basis and re-set the camera accordingly. manually you do what feels correct at the time.

    There was always fixed focus lenses where 'everything' was in 'focus'
    Then again we oonly used top have optical viewfinders it seems peole still want such things though I wonder why .

    Whisky-dave, May 17, 2013