    and any advantages/disadvantages to consider.
    Many thanks
    Gordon

    Gord, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Gord

    JunkMonkey Guest

    OK, I'm thinking a brolly is an umbrella. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Translucent umbrellas and softboxes are specialized equipment for
    specialized shooting requirements. If you are a beginner, I would
    personally recommend two white or silver umbrellas ( I personally lean
    towards white over silver, the light is a tad softer but either are OK),
    you need to learn the basics of lighting first.

    I can't imagine a dealer not jumping at the chance to substitute these
    umbrellas for the more expensive translucent umbrella and the softbox. They
    are generally cheaper, his/her profit is going to be higher. maybe they can
    throw in a book on lighting technique as well.

    JunkMonkey, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Gord

    Mark C Guest

    Do not buy anything until you check out the Alien Bee system from Paul Bluff
    Inc (a division of White Lightning).

    I just purchased 2 - B800's.....a hexagonal (sp?) soft box, umbrella, boom,
    and a heavy weight stand..for less than $800.....you will save on tax if you
    are not a residient of TN.......The B400's are comparable if not more power
    than the Interfit 250;'s....and my package would have been only $700 had I
    gone with them.

    Check out their web site or call Lori at Alien Bees.

    http://www.alienbees.com

    Good luck,
    Mark C
    Nashville TN

    Mark C, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Gord

    RB News Guest

    Gordon

    I assume from your e-mail address that you're in the UK - I recently sent for
    literature on Alien Bees and whilst the basic system seems OK (if a bit
    old-fashuioned looking by European standards), like too many US manufacturers
    they seem to overlook the fact that most of the rest of the world uses 220V - the
    only way to use their system over here is by buying their expensive and bulky
    portable power systems, unfortunately.

    cheers
    Roger

    RB News, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Gord

    B. Peg Guest

    Check out Photoflex http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html for your
    lighting accessories. Really good support. I added the casters to all my
    Photoflex studio stands and they are worth there weight in gold for
    positioning. Get the heaviest stands you can afford. I agree with what was
    said about umbrellas. Get the large ones too as they do concentrate light
    and I found the small ones do have hot spots in full length shots. The
    umbrellas are cheap and mine are some ultrabright whites and I have a couple
    of silvers too. I have Moonlights which are a circular instead of the
    square or rectangular softboxes and they provide better (circular)
    catchlights in the subjects eyes or on glassware. Never did care for the
    rectangular ones as they seemed to have hot spots that were readable off the
    flashmeter (get one, maybe the Minolta Flashmeter series).
    My lights are Paul Buff's Ultra series that I run wirelessly off the
    camera's IR tripper strobe to the Paul Buff computer sych. Works great, no
    wires to step on, and with their modeling lamps
    "what-you-see-is-what-you-get." You don't need their 5200 degree Kelvin
    flashtubes. Jus tget their daylights and you'll be okay. The 5200's were
    designed for the bluishness of Ektachrome film but I find them too yellowish
    with digital. Nice stuff.

    Good luck.

    Bent~

    B. Peg, Aug 16, 2003
  6. Gord

    Gord Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:59:10 +0100, Gord <>
    wrote:

    Many thanks for your replies.
    I have taken on board the advice regarding umbrellas and other forms
    of reflectors/diffusers. Unfortunately regarding the lighting systems
    mentioned, I live in the UK and I am not sure that they are available
    over here, or at least, not that I could find.

    Gord, Aug 17, 2003