struggling at starting blocks getting workgroup recognised

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi
    I have a Buffalo wireless router/ADSL modem happily talking to my desktop
    and to my laptop.

    However the desktop can't even see its own shared drive - I get the message
    when I go to "view workgroup computers" as follows
    " [workgroupname] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    if you have access permissions"

    Now I have triple checked that I AM logged in as the administrator on this
    PC. It is not set up as a server to the best of my knowlege, it is running XP
    professional, office and a few other bits and pieces. Nothing needing it to
    be a server and I don't recall loading any server software ever.

    Any ideas what I can try next? I am totally stumped. There is only me as
    administrator and a guest user on the pc. I do have a password set up.

    My laptop is working fine.

    Neither appears connect to the internet via the modem/router though I have
    set it all up OK...but that is for another day methinks!

    Carol

    Guest, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Guest

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    I would suggest reading the following page.
    Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
    links).
    Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
    concern your specific setting.
    Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 8, 2005