Strong magenta cast in Lightroom

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wally, Jan 20, 2011.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    I started LR 2.6 up after a month or two to process a batch of new
    pictures -- surprise, all the pictures have a strong magenta or
    purple cast. I mean ALL, in grid view or loupe view, JPG or RAW pics,
    three different Canon cameras, and also all my old pics that looked
    normal before.

    The same pics loaded into Irfanview or PSP look great, no color cast.
    So it's not the monitor.

    I tried exporting one of the old pics again, and the re-exported pic
    has a normal color balance, same as when it was exported before, but
    very different from the view in LR.

    And I converted one of the shots to greyscale -- and it is purple and
    white, not black and white!

    Any idea what's going on?

    Wally

    Wally, Jan 20, 2011

  2. Wally

    Wally Guest

    No new software was installed, and there were no color management
    changes that I'm aware of. Anyway, all other software and all graphics
    work as before, except for Lightroom.

    Another peculiarity that I just noticed: LR's histogram also has a
    purplish cast, quite noticeable in the supposedly grey area under the
    curves. But the rest of LR, including text, toolbars, dialog boxes,
    frames, etc are normal.

    Wally

    Wally, Jan 21, 2011

  3. Wally

    ASCII Guest

    Who knows what personal info they've been reporting
    when they 'call home'. ;-)

    ASCII, Jan 21, 2011
  4. Wally

    ASCII Guest

    Some years ago when I went to buy another device,
    a DVD burner I think it was,
    I remembered Sony's rootkit fiasco and decided to go with Plextor.
    So all in all the experience drove me to a better product.

    ASCII, Jan 21, 2011
  5. Wally

    Bigguy Guest

    Sounds like a colour management problem.

    Start by disabling adobe gamma in startup.

    Bigguy, Jan 23, 2011
  6. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Thanks, but as far as I can tell, Adobe Gamma is not running on my
    system.

    Wally, Jan 23, 2011
  7. Wally

    me Guest

    Have you verified LR is using the appropriate monitor profile?

    me, Jan 25, 2011
  8. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Okay, this is an old thread, but I would like to add a bit of info and
    ask some specific advice.

    To summarize, Lightroom 3 running on Win 7 displays all photos with a
    strong red or magenta cast. The histogram gray area is also red or
    magenta.

    All other graphics programs on my system display color fine. Photos
    exported from LR also are fine, even though they look red/magenta when
    in LR.

    The new info: when I use a different monitor on my system, there is no
    color problem -- the colors are true.

    From my googling, I have learned that I have a bad monitor profile. So
    my question is, how do I fix that?

    I don't know anything about monitor calibration or profiles. In
    Control Panel > Color Management, I looked at the Devices tab. Under
    Profiles associated with this device, there is only one profile, the
    default (Samsung Natural Color Pro 1.0 ICM).

    Under the All Profiles tab, there are a whole bunch of profiles, but
    no idea what to do with them, if anything.

    Finally there is the Advanced tab with a multitude of choices, but I
    have no clue.

    I think there is a solution here somewhere, but would appreciate some
    guidance so I don't make the situation worse.

    Wally

    Wally, Feb 23, 2011
  9. Wally

    Wally Guest

    I should add that I don't have Adobe Gamma installed on my computer,
    which they say wouldn't work anyway on Win 7.

    Wally

    Wally, Feb 23, 2011
  10. Wally

    otter Guest

    Yeah, seriously, this is the wrong place to ask. There several
    Lightroom forums on the web, but I'd start here:
    http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

    otter, Feb 24, 2011
  11. Wally

    otter Guest

    Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I'd check here:
    http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

    otter, Feb 24, 2011
  12. Wally

    otter Guest

    Yeah I was afraid of that. It took about 20 minutes for my first post
    to show up, and I started wondering if I hit "Discard" by mistake.

    otter, Feb 24, 2011