    of the TSR programs, and the screen gets taken over by vertical stripes (a
    different pattern each time I boot up) and locks up the system.

    Any ideas? I would like to have access to my PC again.

    GodfatherFan, Jan 16, 2006

  2. GodfatherFan

    JANA Guest

    There may be some damage under the pin that was bent back. If you can get to
    the underside, and have good soldering tools, you can try to touch up the
    solder connection. This is if the connection is able to be soldered.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    I am having a problem with my Win XP machine. I unplugged one of the HD
    cables to access the RAM, re-plugged it in, and noticed that I had bent one
    of the pins on the HD pinout. I carefully (if there is such a thing) moved
    it back to its original position and re-plugged in the cable. Since then, I
    can't boot up. The system goes through the usual login, tries to load all

    JANA, Jan 16, 2006

  3. GodfatherFan

    GodfatherFan Guest

    I'll pull the HD out and have a look. Any idea exactly what I'm looking
    for? I don't necessarily want to pull the HD apart to check inside. I've
    done that once, and it was fine, but I might have been lucky that time.

    GodfatherFan, Jan 16, 2006
  4. GodfatherFan

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    No!! Do not pull the drive apart.

    When trying to boot, does it reach the stage of trying to start Windows?
    If not, is the drive recognized by the BIOS?

    If you completely disconnect the drive, what happens when you try to boot?

    Oldus Fartus, Jan 16, 2006
  5. GodfatherFan

    GodfatherFan Guest

    I guess doing it the logical way - checking one thing at a time - makes
    sense, eh?

    I unplugged the HD that had the bent pin problem and the same thing
    happened. When trying to boot, Windows starts, and I can select a "user"
    profile, get my desktop to display, and the other HD is still working.
    After loading a few icons into the toolbar on the bottom right of the
    screen, it locks up and gives me the vertical stripes again.

    GodfatherFan, Jan 16, 2006
  6. GodfatherFan

    GodfatherFan Guest

    Latest things I've attempted to do:

    Try booting with only one HD connected. No luck.
    Tried booting with the other HD connected. No luck.
    Tried removing one of my memory cards/banks (I thought possibly unseating it
    once caused a problem). No luck.
    Tried removing the other memory card/bank. No luck.
    Unpluggged both HDs - wouldn't boot.
    Any other ideas?

    GodfatherFan, Feb 8, 2006