Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by KlausK, Jun 15, 2008.

  1. KlausK

    KlausK Guest

    I dug up my old Thinkpad R40 with Intel pro wireless 2100 mini network
    adapter and updated it to XP SP3 from XP SP1.

    I use a Linksys N router with my 2 other notebook PCs (WAP2 encryption) and
    have no problem whatsoever.

    I updated the Intel 2100 driver because the old driver didn't have the WAP2
    feature. I successfully connected the Thinkpad to the router.

    Now, here's the strangest part. The wireless connection stays well-connected
    if I simply browse the Internet. However, the Thinkpad loses connection in
    20-30 seconds after I start downloading a relatively big file. Then, the
    Thinkpad re-establishes wireless connection.

    I've tried everything I can think of: disabling AVG, windows firewall,
    spy-bot. The Thinkpad had no trouble with wireless connection when I used
    WEP in the past. What do you think is happening?

    KlausK, Jun 15, 2008

  2. KlausK

    smlunatick Guest

    Using the Intel "management" software or the Wireless Zero
    Configuration system? You may need to WPA2 patch from Microsoft
    (which does not appear to be in any service pack):

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

    smlunatick, Jun 15, 2008

  3. KlausK

    Pavel A. Guest

    WPA2, not WAP2, if you don't mind.
    The 2100 is quite outdated, and perhaps simply does not work well with WPA2
    (though the new driver supports it)

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jun 15, 2008
  4. KlausK

    John Guest

    John, Jun 16, 2008
  5. KlausK

    John Guest

    I doubt Intel PRO Wireless 2100 supports WPA2. If you insist on using 2100
    adapter, lower your security to WPA and use a long alphanumeric password (40
    characters or longer) that isn't found in any dictionary. WPA security with
    a long password is just as hard to break.

    John, Jun 16, 2008
  6. KlausK

    smlunatick Guest

    smlunatick, Jun 16, 2008