Strangers on a Train: $12.99 at Costco.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. In my opinion, there are only three, 4-star movies in the Hitchcock
    Signature Collection, in no particular order:

    Strangers on a Train

    North by Northwest

    Foreign Correspondent

    With a growing number of once-watched and never-watched DVDs, I have
    become more discriminating in what I purchase and what I rent. The best
    deal that I found on the Signature Collection was $69.94 from Amazon,
    with free shipping and no sales tax (in California, anyway.)

    All the same, _Strangers on a Train_ has a list price of $26.99, so
    Costco's $12.99 price is 52% off. Costco also has _Foreign
    Correspondent_ for $12.99, but this is only 35%-off of its $19.97 list
    price. I already had _North by Northwest_, so I was able to single out
    only 2 of the 9 disks in the Signature Collection for purchase.

    Then I added the following titles to my Netflix queue:

    Suspicion

    I Confess

    Stage Fright

    By the way, _Strangers on a Train_ looks and sounds great. Even if you
    already have the original release, the new double-disk special edition
    will be a very worthwhile upgrade. _Foreign Correspondent_ has also been
    made to look and sound better than ever before. And, of course, the
    video part of _North by Northwest_ is of near-reference quality.

    So, is there anyone else who is content to purchase only a couple of the
    new Hitchcock titles?

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 8, 2004

  2. I picked up Foreign and Strangers yesterday at Costco. Great price.

    Thursdaynighters, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Yeah, but where were the rest of the titles? Local Costcos had only 5 of
    the titles. Local Best Buys will be selling the individual titles (with
    the exception of _North by Northwest_) online only.

    Another local retailer initially broke open three box sets, shrink
    wrapped the individual titles and priced them at 10% under their
    individual list prices. Apparently, the 9-title box set is available to
    dealers for around $60, so the cost of the individual titles would be
    $6.67 each. With the list price of 8 of the titles at $20 and the
    double-disk _Strangers on a Train_ at $27, the whole set could be parted
    out with a combined list price of $187. Then, the dealer will re-order
    only the most popular titles individually. I suggested that he re-order
    _Strangers on a Train_ immediately, because that title is the highlight
    of the set.

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 10, 2004
  4. One-Shot Scot

    jayembee Guest

    Different strokes. I wouldn't call FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT a
    "4-star" movie. I'd put DIAL M FOR MURDER, THE WRONG MAN,
    and MR & MRS SMITH over it.
    I wanted all of the films in the set. I already had NORTHWEST
    and the earlier release of TRAIN, but the deal for the boxed
    set was too good to pass up. I picked one up at Best Buy for
    $80, which -- leaving aside the duplicate of NORTHWEST --
    came to $10 a piece.
    Perhaps "better than ever before", but it's no great shakes.
    The worst of the lot (in terms of the condition of the source)
    is STAGE FRIGHT.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 11, 2004
  5. One-Shot Scot

    jayembee Guest

    One of my local Costcos had all nine. However, NORTH BY
    NORTHWEST and DIAL M FOR MURDER were apparently only
    available together as a 2-pack.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 11, 2004
  6. One-Shot Scot

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<So, is there anyone else who is content to purchase only a couple of the
    new Hitchcock titles?>>

    Content to buy only Dial M for Murder and keep my 1 disk Strangers.

    BubbCoop, Sep 11, 2004

  7. I have simultaneously compared the old and new preview versions of
    _Strangers on a Train_ and the new one is VASTLY superior to the old
    one. I think the old version came from a LaserDisc master.

    The new version has excellent black level, superb detail and an improved
    soundtrack -- the music is no longer loud and screechy. In the opening
    train sequence, the old version makes everything, including Robert
    Wagner's pinstripe suit look blurred, fuzzy and indistinct. In the new
    version, the black level and detail are nearly perfect. This picture
    improvement continues for the rest of the movie.

    If you really like this movie, the new version will be a necessity.

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 12, 2004
  8. <<One of my local Costcos had all nine. However, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and
    DIAL M FOR MURDER were apparently only available together as a
    2-pack. -- jayembee>>

    I don't know how this disparity in distribution could have happened. The
    two local Costcos that I went to had only 5 of the titles. Maybe they
    are packed in boxes which say only "Warner DVD" and some stores get both
    and some stores get only one variety. Or maybe, the stores display them
    one box at a time and when one set of titles is sold out, the next box
    with the other titles is put on display.

    In any event, yesterday, all of the _Strangers on a Train_ disks were
    gone from the box that contained _Suspicion_, _Mr. and Mrs. Smith_,
    _Foreign Correspondent_ etc.

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 12, 2004
  9. <<Different strokes. I wouldn't call FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT a "4-star"
    movie. I'd put DIAL M FOR MURDER, THE WRONG MAN, and MR & MRS SMITH over
    it.>>

    I have since bought _Dial M for Murder_, although its staginess does not
    lend itself to the repeat viewing that I have given to _Strangers on a
    Train_. But with Grace Kelly in the flick, it is hard to resist.

    <<I wanted all of the films in the set. I already had NORTHWEST and the
    earlier release of TRAIN, but the deal for the boxed set was too good to
    pass up. I picked one up at Best Buy for $80, which -- leaving aside the
    duplicate of NORTHWEST -- came to $10 a piece.>>
    <<Perhaps "better than ever before", but it's no great shakes. The worst
    of the lot (in terms of the condition of the source) is STAGE FRIGHT. --
    jayembee>>

    I have not seen _Stage Fright_, because Netflix has it on "Very Long
    Wait." However, don't you think that the image on _Dial M for Murder_ is
    a little bit fuzzy and blurred? I found the outlining around people and
    objects to be a little bit distracting at times. Could this be caused
    because the movie was done originally in 3-D? It seems to me that either
    the left or right half of the film could have been used for the
    transfer. Was this movie originally done in the 3-strip Technicolor
    process? Maybe that's the problem.

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 12, 2004
  10. One-Shot Scot

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<If you really like this movie, the new version will be a necessity.>>

    No, I'm done buying the same movie multiple times. I'm sick of the damn studios
    milking more and more money from the same movies. I've purchased 2001: A Space
    Odyssey twice and there's a third version coming out soon. Then the Amadeus
    Director's Cut. Casablanca Special Edition. Bourne Identity Explosive Edition
    which they couldn't trick me into buying. I had to replace my old Fear and
    Loathing w/ the Criterion version. I replaced my 1 disc Great Escape with the 2
    disc. Got rid of my Lawrence of Arabia to get the Superbit and there's nothing
    but the movie. Had to get rid of The Professional to get Leon, the the audio
    was messed up and I had to get the corrected one. Luckily I didn't buy the
    first Momento DVD and got the 2 disc. I had to get rid of Rebecca and Notorious
    to get the Criterions. Replaced Rain Man w/ Rain Man 2-disc. Now there's a new
    Saving Private Ryan, and a new Shawshank Redemption which I won't buy. There
    have been 3 version of Terminator 2. I stopped after the second. I know of 3
    versions of Time Bandits. At least 3 versions of Usual Suspects, and I have the
    newest. And I'm still waiting for watchable versions of Batman and Blade runner
    to come out.

    BubbCoop, Sep 13, 2004
  11. necessity.>>

[...]

    I know exactly what you mean. It's getting ridiculous -- and expensive.
    Sometimes the upgrades are not worth the money, but sometimes they are.
    I have reluctantly upgraded for pristine re-mastered titles, such as:

    Bride of Frankenstein (This one really stung because the original
    was $25 and the new Universal Frankenstein DVD set was $15.)

    Casablanca

    Strangers on a Train (The original fuzzy version was $20 and the
    pristine re-mastered double-disk special edition was $13.)

    When a favorite DVD title has gone from non-anamorphic to anamorphic, I
    have also made the switch on titles such as these:

    Q: The Winged Serpent

    Slaughterhouse Five

    2001 A Space Odyssey

    Fargo

    JFK

    But you're right. There is far too much of this multiple release stuff
    going on.

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 13, 2004