    registry first? The multitude of spyware scanners and AV programs don't
    seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry
    scan?

    EApplegate, Mar 5, 2006

  2. EApplegate

    Meat Plow Guest

    Version 6 of something. Maybe MS VB, Vista, hard to tell. No need to mess
    with it if the PC operates ok.

    Meat Plow, Mar 5, 2006

  3. EApplegate

    mistletoad Guest

    You must be Microsoft's model of an IDEAL customer.

    To the OP: if you have an disk-imaging program, clean up
    everything in the registry (There are many programs who do a
    pretty good job. The M$ reg cleaner is NOT one of them)(do not
    delete the key in question just in case), delete all temp files,
    just defrag, etc. etc. Then make an image.

    If you don't have an image program, do what the next poster
    suggested.

    Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also be
    suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows XP behind
    your back. It has been called (by people who know a LOT about
    computers) nothing but a big call-home Trojan. That's why I will
    NEVER install it.

    And that's why all M$-manufactured "security" tools are useless,
    as if the daily security bulletins didn't give you enough of a
    clue.

    mistletoad, Mar 5, 2006
  4. EApplegate

    EApplegate Guest

    so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?

    EApplegate, Mar 6, 2006
  5. EApplegate

    mistletoad Guest

    wrote in

    If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with some
    98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for my
    purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4 (no
    internet).

    Now, please, show some maturity and restrain yourself from
    flaming.

    Regards.

    mistletoad, Mar 6, 2006
  7. EApplegate

    Margolotta Guest

    2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard drive...?;o)

    Margolotta, Mar 7, 2006
  8. EApplegate

    mistletoad Guest

    Sorry, I meant to write 2GHz P4 (like you didn't know that). I
    wish I had 2GB of RAM (well, not that I need it) but 98 can only
    use 128. I happen to have 256MB. Works fine. Both machines boot
    in under 20 seconds and never crash. Nor do I ever have to do
    the "Windows Update" shit. I'm happy (well, with my machines -
    my life BLOWS). Are you happy?

    mistletoad, Mar 7, 2006
  9. EApplegate

    Margolotta Guest

    I know you did - I was only teasing! ;o) I didn't think you were one of those
    folks who didn't know the difference between GHz and GB (or GB and Gb for
    that matter - and, yes, there is a difference - a huge difference - ones
    eight times bigger than the other).

    Margolotta, Mar 7, 2006
  10. EApplegate

    mistletoad Guest

    hee hee
    BTW, sorry about the other post. I sort of knew it couldn't be
    the same person but I was too lazy to check headers. Just in
    case it WAS, I made THIS one >very slightly< hostile, which you
    seem to have taken in stride. (OTOH, there sure are some foul-
    mouthed bots around these days...)

    BION, I never thought about the diff. between GB and Gb... I
    can't recall ever seeing Gb used... I think maybe had I started
    with computers in the 80's? But of course, very valid (albeit
    somewhat academical?) point.

    Regards.

    mistletoad, Mar 7, 2006
  11. EApplegate

    Plato Guest

    What exact problem are you having with your PC?

    Plato, Mar 7, 2006
  12. EApplegate

    Margolotta Guest

    It's 'academic' not 'academical' (which isn't even a word ;o)) You're right
    you won't have done - it's not used much -it's the abbreviation for
    'gigabit'. People always think I'm being pedantic when I correct them, but
    the difference *is* important - there are eight bits in a byte (which you
    know, obviously) so, therefore, a gigabit translates into about 128MB - see
    why that little difference can change the whole context?

    If you want there are some good Wikipaedia articles on the topic. Just
    remember that a lowercase 'b' is 'bit' and an uppercase 'byte'.

    Margolotta, Mar 8, 2006
  13. EApplegate

    mistletoad Guest

    Since I always give hell to idiots who give the "spell-checker"
    as the reason they have M$ Office installed (they can think of
    nothing else because they don't even know what a tab or
    alignment let alone a database are) yet NEVER use it, it is
    fitting someone should finally correct me.

    As befits a good anal-retentive, I immediately checked.

    ac•a•dem•ic (akƒ dem‚ik) adj.Also, aca•dem‚i•cal.1. of or
    pertaining to a school, esp. one for higher education. 2. of or
    pertaining to areas of study that are not primarily vocational
    or applied, as the humanities or pure mathematics. 3.
    theoretical or hypothetical; not practical or directly useful:
    an academic question. 4. learned or scholarly but lacking in
    worldliness, common sense, or practicality. 5. conforming to set
    rules, standards, or traditions; conventional: academic
    painting.

    Still, I appreciate the corrrection and your (somewhat
    exaggerated trust) in my computing knowledge.

    I am geting older and barely can handle the excess of useless
    information in my brain as it is, so probably won't get further
    info, but it WAS interesting having it specifically pointed out.

    Best regards.

    mistletoad, Mar 8, 2006