Strange problem when using PPTP VPN through Cisco PIX

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by trond, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. trond

    trond Guest

    Hello,

    I have run in to a strange problem with clients behind a Cisco Pix fw
    trying to initiate PPTP connections to other sites, hope somebody can
    give me a hint as I'm not really a networking guru..

    Anyway, my client has a Cisco Pix 515 as their main firewall. Clients
    behind it use the PPTP-client in Windows 2000/XP to iniate connections
    to other customers. For most of the time, this works fine except for
    one connection: This connection will connect nicely and let users
    connect to resources on the other side of the tunnel, but it will
    "freeze" and then disconnect after about 2 minutes every time. As far
    as I can see, packets from the other size of the tunnel will suddenly
    stop being returned, and after a couple of seconds without any received
    packets, Windows will consider the connection hung-up.

    When I test the same connection from my broadband at home it will fork
    fine. Does anybody have a clue what could cause this?

    Best regards,
    Trond Hindenes
    Norway

    trond, Oct 21, 2005

  2. trond

    paras Guest

    This seems to be a client-server issue. Are you able to successfully
    connect from outside using a client setup on the same machine, which
    fails from behind the PIX?

    As far as the PIX is concerned, the only things that I can think of
    are:
    1. connection timeout
    2. xlate timeout.

    You may want to check the settings on the PIX for these.

    paras, Oct 21, 2005