Strange problem - files dissapeared

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Tomislav, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Tomislav

    Tomislav Guest

    Hello,

    I've got a strange problem in one of ours clients computer. They have
    Symantec Corporate Edition Antivirus installed which BTW, works perfectly an
    any other computer regardless of operating system or hardware configuration.
    One day almost complete content of "Program files" simply dissapear
    including Symantec Antivirus ( ? ).

    They were looking for another opinion in meantime and this other fellow said
    that Symantec Antivirus crashes and caused this problem because it has to
    many viruses found ( ? ). Personally, I got myself good laugh when I heard
    this.

    But, despite all my experience I wonder if there is any possibility,
    regardless of haw small it is, that Symantec Antivirus caused deletion or
    some kind of moving of files ?

    Thanks,

    Tomislav

    Tomislav, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Tomislav

    Dazz Guest

    My own experience with Symantec Antivirus has shown me that it can do
    some strange things at times (mostly corrupting itself), but I don't
    think I've ever seen it do what you've described.

    While it *is* possible, I'd suspect either user intervention, or
    perhaps a dodgy hard drive or *perhaps* some kind of malware.

    My guess is user intervention (ie accidently deleting or moving
    folders) or a dodgy hard drive that has caused some corruption.

    I'd be doing a scan (scandisk/checkdisk) of that hdd first though.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Tomislav

    Donnie Guest

    Don't laugh too hard. The only thing I like about symantec is their web
    site. Their AV and other programs are a pain in the butt causing problems
    which are too numerous to mention. I finally convinced my client to dump
    Norton. If I could get rid of Winfax too, I thow a party.
    donnie

    Donnie, Oct 10, 2005