    Nope. Just a viable cable select cable.
    Its one way to do a cable select cable.
    Nope, any viable cable select cable would be fine.

    Rod Speed, Nov 22, 2005

  2. mcp6453

    VWWall Guest

    The cut in the cable dis-connects pin 34 on the motherboard connector
    from the same wire that connects the pin 34s on the drive connectors.
    This pin, (PDIAG-CBLID), is used to inform the motherboard that an 80
    conductor cable is attached, which is required for for ATA 66/100/133.
    In some cables the open is provided in the connector, and the "cut" in
    the cable is not visible.

    Using cables with the connectors attached in non-normal positions may
    cause problems. It's best not to do it!

    VWWall, Nov 22, 2005

  3. mcp6453

    Dave C. Guest

    Virg and Rod, thanks for the information.......very helpful

    Regards.\,

    Dave C.

    Dave C., Nov 23, 2005
  4. mcp6453

    Antoine Leca Guest

    En Robert Baer va
    escriure:
    If you _paid_ for an IBM-branded PC no later than 1980, you should be about
    the only person in the world doing it. Normally, the (very few) people which
    deals with it then _were_paid_for_.

    Or perhaps you are William Lowe, or one of his managers; but then the price
    was not $6,000. ;-)

    I never encounter a PC/XT with the cassette interface exposed. This is not
    to say it did not existed, but they should be pretty rare.
    Also, PC/XT (5160) was released early 1983 (some say March 3rd.)

    On the other hand, the "original" (5150) PC did have the cassette interface;
    US$6,000 seems to me a correct price for a version with two (160K) floppy
    drives and a monitor, along with probably 64K RAM (early PCs were "cheap",
    better said affordable; XTs were priced higher, but also have higher
    performances.)

    If we are really talking about 5150, it would take place between November
    1981 and March 1982 then.

    You should take care of such antiquity; the present value for an already
    running one is probably much higher than the inflation-deflected cost of it,
    which is so rare for electronic devices for that it should be highlighted.

    You did a good deal, congratulations.

    Antoine

    Antoine Leca, Nov 25, 2005