Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    appreciated..

    "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.

    If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    italic's.

    Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".

    course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    wouldn't would they;!..

    So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

    Cheers...

    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013

  2. You can set the font in FireFox Options Content - think the default is
    Times New Roman, size 16.

    Dave Plowman (News), Jan 3, 2013

  3. tony sayer

    Mentalguy2k8 Guest

    I don't have Win7 but it's possible someone has turned something on in your
    accessibility settings to make it easier for "visually impaired" people to
    read screen content.

    eg:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-on-High-Contrast

    Or it could simply be that they've changed your theme:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-desktop-theme

    Mentalguy2k8, Jan 3, 2013
  4. tony sayer

    zulu Guest

    No experience of Win7, I'm still on XP, bit it sounds like someone has been
    playing with *Themes*.
    Won't *System Restore* fix it?

    zulu, Jan 3, 2013
  5. tony sayer

    Brian Gaff Guest

    Yes themes are great for bored people to play with are they not. However I'd
    go along with you on the bold font, but why would anyone use italics? There
    are so many roads to this in web browsers, like style sheets, and personal
    prefs etc, but if some non html programs are doing it then it sounds like
    someone has had a lot of fiddling to do. Normally there are defaults you can
    set.

    Brian

    Brian Gaff, Jan 3, 2013
  6. tony sayer

    Paul Drahn Guest

    I had that same problem crop up on the HSM web site. I tried the CTRL-0
    and it restored everything back to normal. I will try to remember the
    trick if I encounter it again.

    Thanks, Paul

    Paul Drahn, Jan 3, 2013
  7. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. As far as I could make out the themes were as
    they were, zoom as it was and Firefox defaults were as they should be.

    However did a three day rollback and mysteriously all is now as it
    should be:)

    Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

    cheers...

    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  8. Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...

    Brian Morrison, Jan 3, 2013
  9. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    Give the little sod his own machine, with no admin access.

    Huge, Jan 3, 2013
  10. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Well it was a visitors child who saw this nice PC and thought no one
    would mind as she at a very early age is an expert on computers
    according to her mum;!...

    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  11. Just the kind of user the Guest account is ideal for.

    John Williamson, Jan 3, 2013
  12. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    ;)...

    Well she shouldn't really have been in here but shes was only little,
    and a very bright kid too.

    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  13. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Well thats in a bit of the manor where no one normally goes, called the
    daddy sanctuary....

    SWMBO decided to show some visitors in there and whist they were talking
    the "modification work" was carried out 'tho Christ knows what she
    actually did;!...

    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  14. tony sayer

    Tim Ward Guest

    So who, other than you, knows your password then??

    (My family have guessed mine, but they know that I will be exceedingly
    displeased if they abuse it. Less trouble to avoid the risk by logging
    in as themselves.)

    Tim Ward, Jan 3, 2013
  15. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    As said Tim hardly anyone goes in there expect the grumble about the
    mess etc..

    The rest of the crew here have their own machines, they'd have no reason
    to play about with this one except this little miss;!....

    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  16. tony sayer

    Arfa Daily Guest

    Both daughters go on my machine when they come round. They insist on going
    on FaceAche or whatever it's called, and I often go back to the machine to
    find all sorts of windows open, but give them their due, they are both
    pretty computer savvy, and have never done anything to screw the machine
    over. They both know that I am extremely fussy about my machine, to the
    point that I will even chastise them if they dare to actually allow a finger
    tip to connect with my screen. I just *hate* having greasy paw prints on it

    My son, on the other hand, genuinely *is* a computer expert, and if I ever
    manage to screw anything up, I just get him round to sort it. On Tony's
    original problem, desktop themes are a bit funny on Win 7. A while back, I
    installed a piece of software that actually ran in a compatibility mode - I
    don't think it liked my 64 bit W7. When this software ran, it changed the
    desktop appearance, and all the fonts went 'odd' and the windows became what
    to me were 'unpleasant' colours - all sorts of shades of blue. Almost looked
    like very early Windows. I didn't actually like the software, as it used to
    leave the desktop like this when you exited it, requiring you to right click
    and go in and reset the default, so I uninstalled it. This has left a
    slightly odd situation behind in that on the (very) odd occasions that I do
    either turn the machine off, or do a re-boot, halfway through, the desktop
    changes, and a Windows warning message comes up to say that something has
    changed it. However, just as the last couple of background-resident programs
    start up and bolt themselves in, one of them puts it back right !

    Arfa

    Arfa Daily, Jan 4, 2013
  17. tony sayer

    Robert Baer Guest

    WHAT belongs to "font"??

    Robert Baer, Jan 4, 2013
  18. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Waah!, This is a tad ongoing now but it seems that the default fonts
    were all set as windows intended them to be ..

    Anyways we rolled it back a few days restored, and all is well now
    whatever the original cause was...

    tony sayer, Jan 5, 2013