strange folders on disc

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Netman, Mar 9, 2010.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    I have noticed some strange folders on my usb harddrive

    Some of these folders cannot be deleted.
    One of them named:
    "9b2529692949a1396c06b567"
    has subfolders

    Every of these folders contains files:
    "eula.rtf"
    and
    "HotFixInstallerUI.dll"

    The subfolder "1033" contains "eula.rtf" file which has the following
    information:
    "PLEASE NOTE: Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its
    affiliates) licenses this supplement to you. You may use it with each
    validly licensed copy of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, or
    Microsoft Windows operating system software (for which this supplement is
    applicable) (the "software"). You may not use the supplement if you do not
    have a license for the software. The license terms for the software apply
    to your use of this supplement. Microsoft provides support services for the
    supplement as described at
    www.support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx."

    Every "eula.rtf" file of each subfolders has the same text "PLEAS NOTE:
    Microsoft Corp...." but in a different language, even on chinese or japan.

    Can you tell me how to remove this folders? Is it a virus? Is it a spyware?
    Are these data from Microsoft after doing some update?

    I have these folders on two usb harddrives, which cannot be removed by me
    because some process blocks it.

    I have WIN XP Service Pack 3.

    Please help me
    Netman

    Netman, Mar 9, 2010

  2. EULA means End User License Agreement, the numbered folders are the various
    languages, English is 1033 if my memory serves me properly.

    The folders came from the installation of Microsoft Office. You could delete
    all of them and not recover enough space to change anything, so my
    suggestion is to leave them alone. They are not a virus and don't do
    anything by being there. I suppose you could delete them if you need to, but
    if deleting them makes a difference, you probably have other far more
    serious issues.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 9, 2010