    OS: WinXpPro SP3 Build 2600

    Is there any way to stop Windows from clearing my RUN command lines
    from clearing when I reboot? TIA

    Donchano, Jan 13, 2010

  2. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    Thanks for replying. Actually, I didn't do a thing. One day my command
    lines were still there in Run after I rebooted and the next day they
    weren't.

    Per your advice I've downloaded and installed TweakUI v2.10.0.0 for
    Windows XP. And a Google search for instructions turned up a
    suggestion that I "uncheck the option Clear document history on exit
    in the Explorer section."

    That option was already unchecked, but I saved the settings anyway ...
    rebooted and BINGO! The ipconfig .flushdns command was still there.

    Now I'm going to try and figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's and
    flashdrives from autoloading or opening a dialog window with multiple
    options. Cheers.

    Donchano, Jan 16, 2010

  3. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    There's a tool for that called "TweakUI". Hehehe!

    I don't think that there is one to stop your editor from creating
    superfluous apostrophes, as in "...figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's"
    above. :cool:

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 16, 2010
  4. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    Speaking of which, how do *you* write CD's and DVD's? ;-)

    Donchano, Jan 16, 2010
  5. So what did TweakUI do, if it didn’t change a setting that was already
    correct?

    All the Dimdows experts in the world put together cannot explain that to
    you.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 16, 2010
  6. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    I keep all my CDs tidy and keep the DVDs in a rack.

    I believe the way that you did it is wrong *now* but it may become
    acceptable usage in the future. Who knows?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 16, 2010
  7. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    I also use CDs and DVDs on occasion. But the use of CD's and DVD's is
    already de rigueur and another example of how English usage is being
    eroded and debased by the "Text Generation."

    Donchano, Jan 16, 2010
  8. Donchano

    victor Guest

    More by the omission of apostrophes. I doubt whether careless use of the
    possessive form will become "de rigueur" ie. required by convention or
    fashion

    victor, Jan 16, 2010
  9. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    In my opinion, the omission of apostrophes has become epidemic. It's
    as if our children and grandchildren have unlearned what they knew
    previously. Though I'm always pleased to receive them, even their
    emails read like a text message, with no upper case, no punctuation
    and abbreviated words. And their text messages read like a
    personalised number plate.

    However, all you have to do is look through today's newspaper,
    magazine and online articles, not to mention advertising copy, to see
    that the use of an apostrophe to denote the plural of CD, DVD, HDD,
    TV, etc., has gone beyond acceptable and popular, and is generally
    considered to be the correct way to denote the plural. Whether the
    custom has reached the point of being "de rigueur" is arguable. But if
    it isn't de rigueur yet, I think it's certainly headed that way.

    Donchano, Jan 17, 2010
  10. Donchano

    John Little Guest

    I disagree, "CDs" (which I prefer) is more recent than "CD's". That
    usage was standard once, "CDs" was the product of erosion by some
    previous generation.

    Regards, obviously at a loose end John

    John Little, Jan 17, 2010