    Any advice would be great

    Yours Sincerely

    Gary

    gary, Sep 21, 2004

  2. gary

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, gary mused:

    | Hi
    | I'm getting constant port attacks from whoever to numerous numbers of
    | ports, my Zone Alarm firewall is protecting me, but i shouldn't be getting
    | them.

    [snipped]

    First ... stay off the porn sites. Second, unless you are behind a
    router, your computer is directly connected to the internet. Therefore,
    your firewall (ZoneAlarm) is the first line of defense. If you want to stop
    that traffic from reaching your machine, then put a router in between your
    modem and your computer. Otherwise, turn off prompts for incoming traffic
    in ZoneAlarm, and trust it to do its job.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 21, 2004

  3. gary

    gary Guest

    Thanks
    How do i put in a router, i am novice & have avg, how do i turn
    off prompts for incoming traffic in ZA, as i can't see anyway within ZA to
    do this!
    Thanks
    Gary

    gary, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Agree with the fact that you should stay off the porn sites... stay away
    from the porn magazines, too.

    Totally Serious, Sep 21, 2004
  5. gary

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, gary mused:

    | Thanks
    | How do i put in a router, i am novice & have avg, how do i turn
    | off prompts for incoming traffic in ZA, as i can't see anyway within ZA to
    | do this!

    A router is a hardware appliance that will allow you to create a LAN
    (local area network) with all the computers you have, and share one internet
    connection among them. While they are mainly created for Cable and xDSL
    users, there are a few that work for dialup. Check out the link below for
    more information ... click on the "User Guide" and "Quick Install" links on
    the right of the page that loads for specifics ...

    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561

    Regarding ZoneAlarm, there should be a setting within the program. Go
    to the Program Control section, and click on the Main tab. Next, click on
    Advanced, and select the Alerts and Functionality tab. Uncheck "Show an
    alert when internet access is denied."

    mhicaoidh, Sep 21, 2004
  6. gary

    gary Guest

    yes but me & my girl love to look at them to inspire ourselves, it's just a
    fad. i know!
    but get these alerts from somewhere away from me, how can i!!??

    gary, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Turn off all of your firewall software and the alerts will cease (just
    kidding!! don't do that!)

    Totally Serious, Sep 21, 2004
  8. gary

    w_tom Guest

    Unless you are on a dedicated computer with a static IP
    address, then those 'attackers' should not be able to find
    you. IOW if they know where you are, then there must be some
    software now inside your computer that is announcing your
    presence and IP address to those 'attackers'. Find and
    eliminate that malware that is probably on your machine and
    telling others who knows what else.

    w_tom, Sep 22, 2004
  9. gary

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, w_tom mused:

    | Unless you are on a dedicated computer with a static IP
    | address, then those 'attackers' should not be able to find
    | you. IOW if they know where you are, then there must be some
    | software now inside your computer that is announcing your
    | presence and IP address to those 'attackers'. Find and
    | eliminate that malware that is probably on your machine and
    | telling others who knows what else.

    Bear in mind that most software firewalls brand *all* blocked incoming
    traffic as an attack. Most of it is innocuous, and/or normal internet
    traffic. Very rarely are people specifically targeted.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 22, 2004
  10. gary

    gary Guest

    I only visit free porn sites!
    How can i find the malware, i run avg!
    i never had these alerts before, could it be because i didn't update ZA when
    it told me to!
    Cheers

    gary, Sep 22, 2004
  11. gary

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, gary mused:

    | I only visit free porn sites!

    Porn sites, especially free ones, are notorious for implanting web bugs
    and other spyware on your system. That is why it is recommended to avoid
    them ... not out of any morality concern.

    | How can i find the malware, i run avg!

    All free ... download, install, update, and then scan.

    Ad-Aware Personal: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot S&D: http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
    Spyware Blaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    | i never had these alerts before, could it be because i didn't update ZA
    | when it told me to!

    No. Slightly older versions of ZA are just as effective as the newer
    versions.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 22, 2004
  12. gary

    w_tom Guest

    How do you think free porn sites get their money to pay for
    the site?

    w_tom, Sep 22, 2004