Stop Spammers by Hitting Their Servers - Not Their Email.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Magic347, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Magic347

    Greg M Guest

    Greg M, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Magic347

    trout Guest

    I liked the "secret agent" in the name. Like *that's* going to put a
    trench-coat over an IP address.

    trout, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Magic347

    Greg M Guest

    Hey! Hillbily's got lifes too!!1

    Greg M, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Magic347

    trout Guest

    "Bottom posting" is writing your reply under the remarks you are
    replying to *in your message*; not at the end of the conversation, by
    replying to the last poster.
    Just have the post to which you want to reply highlighted
    (selected), when you 'Reply to Group'.
    His (the original poster's) method is very bad advice that is
    ineffective, makes you as bad as the spammer, and would likely lose your
    account.
    You've just given your address to spammers, by posting to an
    international Usenet group with it.
    The first thing to do, is learn to munge your address:
    <http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html>
    <http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide>

    which p****s me off with some of the
    A firewall is not going to filter your mail, nor will Netnanny. Try
    a free program like Mailwasher:
    And here, is an example of how *not* to munge addresses:
    The phrase "NOSPAM" can be 'read' by many 'bots these days; and any
    'munge' should come *after* the "@" in the address, so spam won't be
    send to a valid domain (your ISP) to clog things up for everyone.
    Read more on the subject at your leisure.

    Jimchip's Spam Facts: (full list)

    Most users need to munge their email address:
    <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/munging-address/>
    <http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html>

    Utilities:
    <http://www.twinlobber.org.uk/spampal/>
    <http://www.mailgate.com/products/spamweas/sw_feat.asp>
    <http://www.mailwasher.net> (don't use the 'bounce' feature)
    Magic Mail Monitor: <http://www.geeba.org/magic/>

    Web-based Tracing tools:
    <http://samspade.org/>
    <http://combat.uxn.com/>
    <http://spamcop.net/>
    <http://www.geektools.com/>

    Interpreting headers:
    <http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/tracking.html>
    <http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html>

    spam FAQs:
    <http://www.spamfaq.net/>
    <http://ddi.digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html>
    <http://www.cauce.org/about/faq.shtml>
    <http://www.spamhaus.org/>
    <http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/emailfaq.html>

    <http://spam.abuse.net/>

    trout, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Magic347

    Jimchip Guest

    In reality, his head either in the sand...

    Jimchip, Jul 2, 2003
  6. Magic347

    Mara Guest

    Thanks. :)