    I order now) to get the part delivered to the address where I am
    staying, in the UK, in time for me to take it with me, back to Spain?
    Thanking you in advance.

    Mark, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Mark

    Jono Guest

    Mark brought next idea :
    www.provu.com is a good place to start.

    Jono, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Mark

    Chris Blunt Guest

    I'm also considering buying a SPA-3000, but I've notice it has now
    been superceded with a new model, the SPA-3102.

    Both models seem to be priced the same, so would there be any reason
    to still buy the 3000 instead of the 3102?

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Mark

    Jono Guest

    Chris Blunt expressed precisely :
    The 3000 is slightly less complicated than the 3102 - the latter having
    a router built in (not an ADSL modem)

    Jono, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Does it periodically crash and need power cycling and refuse every 3 or
    so calls passed to it? (for outgoing)

    If not they shouldn't give it a name that makes it sound like it's a new
    version of the SPA 3000, it would make it clearly a completely different
    beast.

    Thomas Kenyon, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Mark

    Jono Guest

    Thomas Kenyon pretended :
    Hmm. I've got 2 SPA3000s, one of which needs power cycling once a
    fortnight, the other, never.

    Jono, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Credit hit my account, but 2.26€ light.

    Mark, Oct 20, 2006
  8. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I'm getting a bit confused. I already have a wired/wireless ADSL
    router, so can I use the 3102 instead?

    Is the 3102 as good as the 3000?

    Another question, I would have liked another telephone connection to
    go to my fax machine only, can I use two 3000/3102 in tandem. Each
    with its own phone number from my VOIP provider, 1 connected to my
    landline in, exisisting house phone system and Ethernet. With the
    other just connected to the Ethernet and my fax machine?

    My house is empty sometimes for months on end, with nobody to do a
    power up reset, if the 3000/3102 hangs. Is there a reliability problem
    with this device? (see later posts)

    Mark, Oct 20, 2006
  9. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I ordered from a UK internet company "broa#dbandstuff.#o.#k"
    They are saying the reason for the shortfall is because, the exchange
    rate between Euro's and Sterling changed 2% in 4 days!

    I don't remember reading that anywhere?

    Mark, Oct 20, 2006
  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I replied to them, suggesting that this is not the case, and Keir
    Groves of www.broadbandstuff.co.uk says thats the end of it, you sort
    it out with your bank. Thanks Keir.

    Mark, Oct 20, 2006
  11. Hmm, I've got 4 of them, and none have ever needed power cycling
    in the 16 months they've been in use, nor refused a call passed to
    them.

    Andrew Gabriel, Oct 20, 2006
  12. This is the Linksys version running software version 3.1.10(GWd) on
    hardware version 2.0.1(306c).

    Thomas Kenyon, Oct 20, 2006
  13. Mark

    elk Guest

    That's the problem when you use a credit card based in one currency to buy
    something in a second currency.

    I have experienced this a few times it is a problem if you need to get a
    refund and the exchange rate has changed. Nothing to do with broadbandstuff
    but in fact it is the credit card company who set the rates. Perhaps if you
    don't understand the system you shouldn't use your credit card for such
    transaction. Certainly not broadbandstuff fault. And yes the euro rate has
    charged every day either up or day for the last month or so, so there was
    bound to be a fluctuation one way or another.

    elk, Oct 21, 2006
  14. Mark

    Chris Blunt Guest

    When your card is charged with an amount in foreign currency you get
    the buying rate. When its credited you get the selling rate. The
    difference between the two could easily exceed 2%. That's the way your
    credit card company works, its not the fault of the company you dealt
    with.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Oct 21, 2006
  15. It is. The rules the credit card companies normally set for this sort of
    thing is that cards should not be debited until the goods are ready for
    dispatch. If they take a chance on it it is for them to make the full amount
    good to you.

    Thomas Sandford, Oct 21, 2006
  16. Mark

    Chris Blunt Guest

    Do you have any reference for this "rule"? As far as I'm aware, its
    entirely up to the company at which point they charge your credit
    card.

    But this isn't the issue here anyway. The company has refunded the
    full amount they originally charged. The fact that the buyer's credit
    card company converted that amount to his local currency at a
    different exchange rate is not the fault of the company he did
    business with.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Oct 21, 2006
  17. My 4 units are running:
    3.1.7(GWg) on 2.0.1(81e2)
    3.1.7(GWg) on 2.0.1(4171)
    2.0.13(GWg) on 2.0.1(81e2)
    2.0.13(GWg) on 2.0.1(4171)

    Andrew Gabriel, Oct 21, 2006
  18. That's not the case here. It's a UK company quoting prices in £'s.

    exactly the same amount, the card company will do the chargeback
    which has to be the original amount. I was only claiming part of
    the sum back as part of the order was correctly delivered, but
    card company said they could only chargeback exactly the same
    amount as the original payment. It will then be up to
    broadbandstuff to negotiate with you to recover anything they
    have already paid you or payment for any partial order you have
    received. When this happened to me, I never heard from them
    again (wasn't broadbandstuff in my case).

    Andrew Gabriel, Oct 21, 2006
  19. Mark

    Tim Bray Guest

    We don't have any more SPA-3000's at ProVu.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Oct 21, 2006
  20. Mark

    Tim Bray Guest

    Yes. Forget about the router bit.

    Instructions

    1) Connect PC to LAN port of SPA-3102. Let PC get an IP address using DHCP.

    2) Web browse to SPA-3102 - IP will be the default gateway. Enable the
    web interface on the WAN connection

    3) Connect SPA-3102 to your existing router using the WAN(Internet)
    port. It will acquire an IP address using DHCP. Forget the LAN port exists.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Oct 21, 2006