Still trying to get an old machine up an running.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Charlie Bress, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. I was here a week or so ago getting advice on getting a Gateway 2000 up and
    running with a hard drive salvaged from a Compaq. The original problem was
    created when trying to use the restore CD that was putting Win 95 on and the
    when we tried to install Win98 (the way the box originally came) the system
    got hosed. The fix was to get a boot disk, format c: and do a clean Win98
    install. Forget about the Gateway restore disk, its nothing but aggravation.

    So far I have everything running (as far as I can tell) except that the
    monitor is stuck in VGA mode.
    I've downloaded the drivers from Gateway's site. But I can't get the monitor
    out of VGA.
    Poking around I see that the graphics adapter shows up as a VGA adapter when
    looking at it's properties.
    Removing the adapter from control panel>system etc. and rebooting still has
    the adapter come back as VGA when PnP finds it again.
    The monitor only loads the driver from Win98 as shown by the driver date.
    Repeated attempts to install the Gateway driver have not worked. I imagine
    that this is because the system only shows the graphics adapter as VGA.

    Help is needed, help is always appreciated.

    Charlie

    Charlie Bress, Sep 8, 2003

  2. You have to identify the video card correctly and make sure you get the
    correct Win9x driver from Gateway and install it correctly. What
    method did you use to install it?

    Gateway's site should allow you to get the right driver in theory, as they
    list drivers based on the serial number of the machine, provided their records
    are correct about the type of video card in the machine. If their records are
    wrong, then you may have downloaded the wrong driver. If you can ID the card,
    then you have a chance of finding the right driver on their site. Running a
    hardware diagnosic program like Aida32 or Sisoft Sandra may give you the info
    you need to ID the card.

    If abolutely necessary, you may be able to get a 'generic' driver from the
    video card chipset manufacturer that gives basic functionality, but the OEM
    driver from Gateway is always recommended first.

    Another Airnet User, Sep 8, 2003