    pictures will not be my main focus, video will...but on occasion I will be
    saving still shots. My question is, would I get better pictures with a
    MiniDV or a DVD camcorder? Thanks.

    cqdx, Dec 12, 2004

  2. cqdx

    Mark² Guest

    There is no correlation between still quality, and the device which saves
    the image.
    The determining factors will be megapixels saved, and other factors like
    sensitivity to light, color, etc.

    That it records to DVD really only means it records onto different media.
    This would be like asking, "Which images will look better...images saved on
    my hard-drive, or images saved on a CD?"

    You'll have to examine other factors to answer your question.

    Mark², Dec 12, 2004

  3. cqdx

    Markeau Guest

    Indeed it seems still images recorded to memory card, stick, tape or
    dvd should not matter. However if you should ever want to pull stills
    out of video: the 16Nov04 issue of PC Magazine compared miniDV with
    DVD camcorders, and the miniDV video was much clearer on higher motion
    footage. Supposedly due to "DVD camcorders being limited to realtime,
    constant bit-rate encoding commonly at 1MB/sec as opposed to 3.6MB/sec
    for miniDV".

    Also, "the MPEG files produced by DVD camcorders are often
    incompatible with many consumer and prosumer editors. Even compatible
    editors will likely perform more slowly when editing MPEG2 because it
    is more compressed and harder to decompress".

    Markeau, Dec 12, 2004
  4. cqdx

    Jules Guest

    The image resolution is the same regardless of what you use to store the
    image (MiniDV or DVD). Either PAL, NTSC or SECAM depending on your
    country. Either way, you are looking at less than 1/2 mega pixel images.

    Alternativly, a lot of camcorders have 'still photo' mode built in, but this
    is just a digital camera in this mode, not a camcorder.

    Jules, Dec 12, 2004
  5. cqdx

    bob Guest

    Look for the resolution specs. My Sony D8 recorder only records 640x480
    still. If one of the recorders you are looking at is higher than the
    others, then it will probably record better photos. Contrawise, if one of
    them is a lot lower, then it will probably be worse.

    Bob

    bob, Dec 14, 2004
  6. cqdx

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Except that DVD and MiniDV use different compression schemes.
    Some have an extra "shutter" release that grabs a frame and stores it
    on a memory card. You can capture stills while recording video.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 14, 2004