Still more open-source outsourcing!

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Yet another in Salon.com's series of one-the-spot reports from within
    Indian IT firms.

    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/04/12/inside_the_offshore/index.h
    tml

    http://tinyurl.com/22zjx

    (Warning: requires watching a commercial for the ACLU.)

    This one, I think, is especially worth reading, as it details the inner
    workings of a Bombay-based web-development shop that, to my tin ears,
    sounds eerily like a low-budget version of a Bay Area startup circa
    1997. It's chock full of quotes from Indian programmers working long
    hours for not so much money (by Indian standards) because they're
    convinced that they're in on the ground floor of something. An example:

    "Around 30 people work in Dwpa's crowded office, writing code in ASP,
    Java, VB.Net, PHP and many other technical lingua francas. They spend
    about nine hours a day coding for American, European and Canadian
    companies -- projects outsourced to India at costs of about half of what
    first-world programmers would charge. The starting salary at Webodrome
    can be as little as half of what the call centers dangle, but Dwpa and
    Reena are here for the promise of a better career -- and more money --
    in the longer term."

    Hmmm...

    These jokers are buying into the same load of crapola that lured so many
    North American IT people into the same scenarios. I wonder, when the
    inevitable economic prsessures send these Indian jobs to Russia, China,
    the Philippines, et cetera, if they'll be a blossoming of boards, lists,
    and groups populated by embittered Indian IT workers. I wonder what
    Indian jokes about Russians and Chinese will be like? Will there be an
    Indian equivalent of F*ckedCompany.com?

    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    <snip>

    You know, it's getting to the point where I'm almost actually *for*
    outsourcing. Hey, I got my job, and I'm 99.99% certain that it's not going
    anywhere. But the thing is, the Indians' dot-com bubble is going to burst
    sooner or later, too. Then companies will move their call centers and the
    like back home, leaving educated (eh, you know what I mean - experienced
    might be a better word) Indians ready to help the country move out of it's
    third-world status, while we get more jobs back here in the good ol' USA.
    Maybe that's just wishful thinking and I haven't thought through the process
    all the way. Maybe it's just that I'm young and stupid and can't see the
    forest for the trees. But with any luck, that's what will happen if
    companies continue to send jobs to Asia.

    </possibly uninformed rant>

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs opined, On 4/13/04 10:03 AM:
    I love the part where they say that the progammers salaries are less
    than half what they coud earn in a call center. That's too ironic for
    words. Working 12 to 18 hour shifts, two hour commute, and still can't
    earn whan a call center droid makes. Couple that with the fact that the
    contractors are charging half what a programmer would earn in the states
    or Europe, but only paying what, a tenth of what a programmer would make
    here?

    Can you say exploitation?

    JaR
    Laffin' Thug

    JaR, Apr 13, 2004
  4. I love the part where they say that the progammers salaries are less
    Probably no foosball tables or Snapple-filled refrigerators in those Indian
    dot-coms either (not that Vlad ever sprung for those things in my office).
    Stock options, you think?

    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    billyw Guest

    when does exploitation start and capitalism stop?

    billyw, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    billyw Guest

    there is starting to be a squeeze for talent in india now..
    costs are beginning to rise and the ever present danger of a full blown
    public backlash are making companies think

    billyw, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs opined, On 4/13/04 10:44 AM:
    From the sound of it, if they installed a fridge, they'd have to move
    out one of the programmers to make room!

    JaR, Apr 13, 2004
  8. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Jtyc Guest

    when does exploitation start and capitalism stop?

    With Janet Jackson's nipple.

    Jtyc, Apr 13, 2004
  9. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    billyw opined, On 4/13/04 10:59 AM:
    It doesn't, without some sort of outside interference. For most
    companies now, anyway. The age of the 'socially responsible' employer is
    long past. As Spock was so eager to point out the other day, if a
    company 'can' access a resourse for less money, it must do so, and to
    hell with the consequenses. What he is unable, or unwilling to
    comprehend, is that it was not always so. There have been employers in
    the past that had gone against the flow. In fact, only 20 or so years
    ago, it was the norm for companies to establish, and try to maintain, a
    long term relationship with their workers.

    We have seen a reuturn to tha era of the 'Robber Barons' of the 1800's.
    Only today, they are for the most part large multi-national
    corporations, rather than wealthy individuals.

    JaR
    Agitating Thug

    JaR, Apr 13, 2004
  10. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Jtyc Guest

    We have seen a reuturn to tha era of the 'Robber Barons' of the 1800's.

    No we haven't.

    Jtyc, Apr 13, 2004
  11. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    billyw Guest

    PRESPETERIAN!!!!

    billyw, Apr 13, 2004
  12. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    billyw Guest

    and of course they hide behind the mantra of "shareholder value" invariably
    the same people being shafted

    billyw, Apr 13, 2004
  13. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    billyw Guest

    yes we have

    billyw, Apr 13, 2004
  14. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    Jtyc opined, On 4/13/04 12:05 PM:
    No, Jtyc, _you_ haven't.

    JaR, Apr 13, 2004
  15. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Jtyc Guest

    PRESPETERIAN!!!!

    I think you're thinking of Presbyterian, and I'm not.

    I'm Lutheran.

    Jtyc, Apr 13, 2004
  16. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Jtyc Guest

    and of course they hide behind the mantra of "shareholder value"
    invariably
    No they don't.

    Jtyc, Apr 13, 2004
  17. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Jtyc Guest

    yes we have

    No we haven't.

    Jtyc, Apr 13, 2004
  18. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Jtyc Guest

    No, Jtyc, _you_ haven't.

    Yes I have.

    Jtyc, Apr 13, 2004
  19. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    billyw opined, On 4/13/04 12:08 PM:
    And, of course, when the corporation goes nipples north after all the
    mismanagement and malfeaseance, who gets screwed? The shareholders are
    left with worthless shares, the employees are on the streets, the
    pension funds are gone, the executives get multi million dollar bonuses,
    and the CEO is hired by another corporation for millions a year to do
    the same thing again.

    JaR
    Ongoing Thug

    JaR, Apr 13, 2004