Still having problems Compaq 5452

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by md, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. md

    md Guest

    I POSTED THE TWO PROBLEMS BELOW YESTERDAY on THE COMPAQ SITE AND GOT SOME
    HELP, BUT NOTHING HAS HELPED..

    Two real problems -- anything in the CD drive, after windows 98se has
    started causes blue screen of death and then a functional crash (tried
    turning off DMA, etc. as suggested) So I can't use CD Drive (actually it is
    a DVD drive) at all. Thus can't load other drivers or run norton utilities,
    etc.

    Second problem is that I cannot get the onboard video at anything better
    than 640x480. Can't find a video driver anywhere for it.

    ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? Mark

    ..
    Hello....my son and i have a program to refurbish older computers to give to
    kids who can't afford them...have problems with a nice 5452 presario donated
    to us...

    2 problems == did not reformat the drive on this one, but cant get a good
    video driver. cant find a driver on the compq website...only gives me
    640x480 and 16 colors. where can i find a driver and what specific driver
    should i use?

    2. after adding a flash bios update, when i put anything in the CD drive
    (it is actually a dvd drive), i get the blue screen of death and everything
    hangs up...goes to inactive desktop and cd drive wont open again until i
    restart. i think the cd drive was working before the bios upgrade. do i
    need to go into bios and change anything? any ideas?

    if you don't mind, pls email me at info (at) kramden.net

    md, Sep 22, 2003

  2. md

    the yeti Guest

    I POSTED THE TWO PROBLEMS BELOW YESTERDAY on THE COMPAQ SITE AND GOT SOME
    Please don't yell, it hurts my eyes and impairs my thinking.
    If its a DVD drive, just say so, you wouldn't call a dog a cat would
    you?
    Use a program called AIDA32 to find out the video card information and
    it will also point you the the Chipset manufactures website.

    There is a problem with some older computers that will cause a
    failure, or BSOD, if an early version of Adaptec CD burning software
    is installed and A DVD drive is added. They just are totally not
    compatable. Remove the software and your computer will be fine. This
    is just one possible suggestion. You might also want to go to
    Adaptec's web site and check your version of ASPI.

    I do mind, you posted in a newsgroup and I will reply in a newsgroup.

    the yeti, Sep 22, 2003

  3. md

    Miggsee Guest

    I've had luck with using www.driversguide.com to find Compaq drivers. I
    reformatted an older Compaq last weekend, and found the integrated
    modem/sound card drivers at this site.
    User name = drivers
    Password = all.

    Miggsee, Sep 22, 2003