    Davey Guest

    Personally, I would have thought it was an improvement when a political
    discussion is on!

    Davey, Jul 31, 2014

  2. Jim

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Yes, bell wire long-since disconnected. Didn't make a scrap of
    difference.

    Ian Jackson, Jul 31, 2014

  3. Jim

    Martin Brown Guest

    Places near the edge of the UK suffer from continental interference
    after dark.
    You can get rid of it by adding a fancy aerial at a cost almost equal to
    the DAB radio itself (or more for a cheap DAB radio). I find the effect
    on talk radio intolerable too they sound like the subterraneans off
    Stingray like they are gargling whilst trying to read the news.

    DAB was a good idea badly implemented not enough bitrate. These days I
    use internet radio where the broadcast quality of Radio 3 is excellent.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 31, 2014
  4. Jim

    bert Guest

    It is Radio 4 which includes TMS in its program schedules.

    bert, Aug 2, 2014
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Possibly because 198 is Radio 4 UK.
    Perfectly strong and clear in SW England.
    Beyond the reach of the Channel Is VHF, it's good for
    me down to at least Châteauroux. It's usefullness is limited
    in the summer afternoon it carries a ball-by-ball commentary
    on that boring English pastime.
    What sort of noise is masking it?

    Jim, Aug 9, 2014
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Solved by purchasing a custom cable.

    Fibre has not dropped out at all apart from twice
    on the first day.

    However, my downloads and uploads to the cloud take
    just as long as before. I would have expected cloud
    uploads to be faster, although programme downloads
    probably suffer from bottlenecks somewhere else along
    the route. Or perhaps there's something I've missed
    doing in the router setup? The speed tests are fine.

    Jim, Aug 9, 2014
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I assume, fear even, that when they no longer fit
    VHF radios in cars, we'll lose LW and MW as well.
    I'm changing my car next year and the one I fancy has
    DAB radio fitted. :eek:(

    Jim, Aug 9, 2014
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Get hold of an old Band III TV aerial, clean it up,
    put it on the chimney and away you go.

    Plenty of these unused and hanging off chimneys since
    TV left that band. Some of them with quite reasonable gain.

    Jim, Aug 9, 2014
  9. Jim

    Mark Carver Guest

    Yes, although many were only tuned for a particular Band III channel.
    DAB uses blocks in the old Chs 10, 11 and 12. So an aerial from say
    the London or Granada regions, Ch 9 in old money, may not perform too
    well for BBC DAB on 12B. Better than a bit of wire stuffed in the back
    though.

    You don't want too much directionality though, DAB relies on being able
    to sum transmissions from several transmitters, so actually you're
    better off with a single dipole vertically mounted to give omni
    directional response. Also, you run the risk with a directional aerial
    of pulling in a distant DAB transmitter, if more than 78km away, the
    signals arrive too late (with reference to closer transmitters) and the
    addition of data leads to a destructive rather than constructive effect
    on reception .

    Mark Carver, Aug 10, 2014
  10. Jim

    bert Guest

    All the stations will be available on DAB. My son has DAB in his new
    motor and he loves it. Reception is way better esp compared to LW and MW

    bert, Aug 10, 2014
  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Indeed. I'd forgotten about the channel
    groupings they came in. That was some time ago!
    Learn somthing new every day. I'll stick to my
    telescopic on the set.

    Jim, Aug 10, 2014
  12. Jim

    Jim Guest

    No doubt, but I was again thinking about
    motoring abroad. Although DAB'll work on the
    Continent, the UK channels won't be available.

    I wouldn't miss MW/LW here in UK.

    Jim, Aug 10, 2014
  13. Jim

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Don't they now use DAB+, and many UK radios are still only DAB - and
    hence incompatible?

    Ian Jackson, Aug 10, 2014
  14. That's unlikely to happen if the aerial is actually pointing at the
    nearest transmitter. So directional aerials can be of use for DAB.

    Brian Gregory, Aug 11, 2014
  15. Jim

    Mark Carver Guest

    And there's a more distant one receivable directly behind ?

    There's a BBC paper somewhere suggesting that just that problem
    exists for some in East Anglia (thanks ironically to the flat terrain)

    Mark Carver, Aug 11, 2014
  16. Jim

    Paul Cummins Guest

    Really? Which DAB multiplex carries Breeze Basingstoke, or Breeze Newbury.
    Which one carries Eagle Extra, or Reading 107?

    DAB will not replace VHF FM transmissions.

    Paul Cummins, Aug 11, 2014
  17. I wonder how long it will be before we all, indirectly and without
    realising it perhaps, miss the opportunity they all provide for young
    people to learn first hand how radio works?

    My first foray into electronics was via the construction of "crystal",
    or passive component radio sets. It was seeing an explanation in a
    book that included a circuit diagram with only three main components
    that made me realise I could do more than just read about this;
    perhaps I could actually make one. I already had a high impedance
    earphone from something else, so the only special components I needed
    were a coil, a capacitor and a diode - just three things, and all the
    rest was wire.

    And it did work. Sometimes it's possible to be inspired by a book, but
    there's nothing like the inspirational boost that comes from doing
    something for yourself and realising that you've achieved something
    real and meaningful.

    Goodness knows where future generations of electronic engineers are
    going to come from, or what's going to inspire them. Almost everything
    electronic nowadays is sealed and incomprehensible, full of thousands
    of microscopic parts that can only be made in factories, way beyond
    table-top construction using handfuls of components you could make
    yourself. It'll still be possible to wind a coil on the cardboard tube
    from a toilet roll, and to make a variable capacitor from two sheets
    of baking foil and one of paper, but when there are no more
    transmissions to receive, there'll be no point in bothering to do any
    more than just read about it.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 11, 2014
  18. Jim

    Mark Carver Guest

    Reading 107, (now re-branded as Jack FM Berks) is on the Hants/Berks
    local mux

    http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/ukloc.html#Reading

    Eagle Extra, dunno, is that Eagle 3 ? If so, Surrey Mux

    http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/ukloc.html#Surrey

    The Breezes are not on DAB though, as you say

    Mark Carver, Aug 11, 2014
  19. Jim

    Paul Cummins Guest

    No, Eagle Extra is "Eagle 2" of you consider Eagle and Eagle 3.
    And they can't be, because DAB isn't Local enough.

    Paul Cummins, Aug 11, 2014
  20. These days one buys a raspberry pi..

    The Natural Philosopher, Aug 11, 2014