    Yes, cable or wifi. God knows there's plenty
    of spectrum available for the latter up in the
    GHz ranges.

    Jim, Jul 28, 2014

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    The general background noise is well above
    what it used to be 15 years ago. It's very
    noticeable and it's due to these things and
    all the other electronic digital toys that
    the Facebook generation seems to need to make
    life liveable.

    Jim, Jul 28, 2014

  3. Jim

    Mark Carver Guest

    On 28/07/2014 20:44, Jim wrote:
    ounts of them, please tell us.
    Yes it is, but how many recorded cases are there of people
    having reception of their radio stations obliterated because of it ?

    I do recall 40 years ago, plenty of people complaining the LOT
    in TVs would affect reception of Radio 2 LW ? Something unheard of
    today of course :)

    Mark Carver, Jul 28, 2014
  4. Yes, it was loud enough to be annoying on the medium waveband too, and
    because television didn't start till the evening, it more or less
    coincided with the foreign interference that started after dark. Some
    stations that gave almost hi-fi performance during the day were hardly
    worth listening to at night.

    But they didn't ban television.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 28, 2014
  5. Jim

    Martin Brown Guest

    I am somewhat more rural than that but in a village considered too small
    to be cost effective and out of range of microwave services from a
    neighbouring village (where BT have moved heaven and earth to fibre up
    and chop the legs off the rival entrepreneur led local microwave ISP).
    My phone line is direct back to the exchange - no cabinet!

    Another neighbouring village was ignored completely as their cabinet is
    too far away from any mains power to be made fibre capable.
    It isn't that hard to do your own RJ45 connectors once you have the
    right tool and a bit of patience. Not especially cost effective for a
    one off though unless you can borrow the tool.

    I suggest you try it experimentally with the modem within easy reach of
    easy power with long signal cable and then on a short signal cable and
    trailing mains extension lead. Iff you can detect any improvement then
    it is worth the faff of mains wiring changes - otherwise not.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 29, 2014
  6. Jim

    Rodney Pont Guest

    I'm rural as well and have MAX, 21CN hasn't reached here so far. There
    is a green verge outside of the exchange and two green cabinets have
    appeared there which I presume are for FTTC. I wouldn't mind ADSL2+ but
    I don't think I'd go for FTTC personally. We do get 8128k sync and that
    is plenty fast enough at the moment.

    Rodney Pont, Jul 29, 2014
  7. Jim

    Davey Guest

    I'm in a village, where we say that we're still waiting for 20CN, let
    alone 21CN. Fibre is available about 3 miles away, we might get it by
    the end of 2015, maybe.
    The appearance of any green cabinets would probably be met with
    reports of aliens landing.

    Luckily, I don't run any Internet-dependent businesses.

    Davey, Jul 29, 2014
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Today it's the screens ...

    Jim, Jul 30, 2014
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Perhaps they should have. I wonder if I'd have
    missed it ...?

    Anyway, the fibre was installed today without
    problems. Now working a bit below the estimated
    speed. This'll probably speed up as the modem
    adjusts itself to the new environment.

    No mains socket as yet and ethernet from modem
    to router is 3 bits of Cat 5 with couplers while
    I await deliver of a custom-length cable.

    Can't send Emails with Thunderbird, possibly
    because I now have a different IP address and
    Namesco's SMTP server doesn't like it. POP3
    server works with T-Bird. I can send via the
    Web interface, which seems odd. Sort it out tomorrow.

    Jim, Jul 30, 2014
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hearing tales like that saddens me. I wish
    I could donate the 7Mb/s I was getting before
    today !
    I bought the tool some time ago, but gave up
    after two attempts.
    Could use the mains socket anyway, so I'll have it
    put in.

    Jim, Jul 30, 2014
  11. Jim

    Ian Jackson Guest

    ....... and the switchmode power supplies.

    Ian Jackson, Jul 30, 2014
  12. Jim

    Davey Guest

    I tried first with a cheap tool, and then bought a Belkin, which made a
    huge difference.

    Davey, Jul 30, 2014
  13. I will say one thing: Radio 2 on 198KHZ is way worse than it was when I
    were a lad.

    It is almost unlistenable to in the UK although it was much better in
    the middle of France.

    DSL broadband is probably the culprit.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 31, 2014
  14. Jim

    Martin Brown Guest

    Practice makes perfect. You do have to put them in the right order and
    that order isn't entirely obvious but is well documented.

    RJ45 connectors are cheap enough. It is hard to buy less then 50!
    (you pay almost as much for 10 including postage)

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 31, 2014
  15. Jim

    Ian Jackson Guest

    It's certainly a mess in the areas where one (or both) of the other two
    R2 transmitters is also being received, and cannot be nulled out. I
    believe they only came into operation in the 1980s.

    Also, when you (and I) were a lad, the radios were possibly better
    optimised for LW and MW reception. In modern radios, the LW in
    particular often seems to be chucked in as an afterthought.
    But it's nowhere near as strong as the French LW stations are in the UK
    (even right up into Scotland). Whenever I've been abroad, I've usually
    also had the impression that UK stations in general were never received
    as well as we receive foreign stations.
    Potentially is could be, although personally I can't really detect much
    RF hash being radiated from my incoming phone line. [Although I'm at the
    end of a 3+ mile run from the exchange, and only get 1.5Mb/s out of a
    'possible' 8, the LF end of the downstream RF spectrum should still be
    pretty strong compared with the top end at 1.1MHz.]

    Ian Jackson, Jul 31, 2014
  16. Jim

    Mark Carver Guest

    Certainly is, probably because Radio 4 took its slot in Nov 1978 :)

    Mark Carver, Jul 31, 2014
  17. Jim

    Martin Brown Guest

    Have you done the bell wire hack? Provided that you don't have
    prehistoric phones it makes quite a difference to SNR. Somewhere between
    30-50% speed improvement when I did it on my rural line. See

    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

    I now have just enough bandwidth to live stream one channel of HDTV.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 31, 2014
  18. oh well. Whatever it is. Test match special innit?

    So its not radio4 either

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 31, 2014
  19. Jim

    Graham J Guest

    Ian Jackson wrote:
    [snip]
    As a teenager in the 1960's I stopped listening to MW & LW radio because
    the interference was so bad (this was East Anglia - other parts of the
    UK may have suffered less). I listened using FM instead.

    I still listen to FM despite the availability of DAB. All the radios
    with DAB that I've tried seem to produce a sort of "burbling"
    interference - just tolerable on talk programmes but an absolute waste
    of time on music programmes.

    Graham J, Jul 31, 2014
  20. Jim

    Mark Carver Guest

    Well, they lend the Radio 4 LW/MW network to Radio 5 Sports Extra, when
    TMS is running. (As R5-Sp-Ex is a 'digital' only service)

    Mark Carver, Jul 31, 2014