Still a bit confused

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mike Saunders, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. I have made some progress in trying to make sense of all these options
    and have narrowed them down to the following as being what I want to
    achieve (Do these make sense?)

    First there are to be 2 users of this system They need to be as
    independant as possible but if I can do want I want with only one VOIP
    line so much the better

    As I have ADSL only I still need a PSTN line rental and a PSTN charge
    tariff (eg BT) for the occasional calls out using PSTN

    I have an ADSL router so I get an ATA (not locked) which I can use for
    various VOIP providers as I see fit

    This ATA could support 2 analogue handsets one being a DECT phone for
    use around the house (user 1) the other a fixed phnone (user 2)

    As I can still receive calls using PSTN then when I make calls using
    VOIP (using fixed phone) I could present my PSTN no to my caller so he
    could call me using PSTN However could I choose to present my VOIP no
    when using the DECT phone only

    Also could someone confirm whether all calls going through the ATA must
    be Voip or may they also be PSTN Not sure how this works as the router
    is connected to ADSL through the splitter

    Thanks for all replies

    Mike

    Mike Saunders, Aug 1, 2006

  2. Mike Saunders

    Jono Guest

    Mike Saunders explained on 01/08/2006 :
    You can do it with 1 voip service provider, but not with a single port
    ATA
    This would fit the bill - it has PSTN connection & two VoIP phone ports
    <http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3?Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.js.html>
    they also do one with ADSL modem built in.

    Sipgate sell some of their range.

    If you didn't want two, you could use the Linksys/Sipura SPA3102
    If you have two accounts on the device set appropriately, yes. However,
    to present your PSTN number whilst dialling out over VoIP, you would
    need a Voip Service provider that will allow you to alter the
    presentation number. voip.co.uk allow this. I believe gradwell.com do
    also.
    Certainly, with the Linksys/Sipura SPA3102, you can decide which calls
    go over VoIP & which over PSTN. This can be set either based on the
    number dialled, first few digits of a number, number of a certain
    length, or all calls, or any call prefixed with say a # - you can
    basically set it to do anything you can imagine.

    I'm sure the Fritzbox is as programmable but have no experience of it.

    Jono, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Mike Saunders

    Ivor Jones Guest

    in message

    [snip]
    The Fritz!Box range are excellent, I would recommend them without
    hesitation. All the ones Sipgate sell have the ADSL modem built in, but
    the firmware permits it to be disabled if required. Go for the WLAN 7050
    if you can afford it, it has three independent phone ports plus you can
    configure up to 10 accounts, all with different providers if you like..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Mike Saunders

    Jono Guest

    Yes, it does look a nice piece of kit:
    http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3?Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.js.html
    almost makes me wish I was on ADSL!

    Jono, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Certainly, with the Linksys/Sipura SPA3102, you can decide which
    That looks good but a bit overkill for me I already have good router
    and if I could get an ATA with dual ports that would be fine I looked
    at Bradwell site and the Linksys PAP2T looks about right but no
    mention of dual PSTN operation Any alternatives?

    gradwell.com do also.

    Do you think if I alter the outgoing presentation number whether or
    not I have to redirect this no to VOIP for incoming calls

    Thanks

    Mike

    Mike Saunders, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Mike Saunders

    Jono Guest

    Mike Saunders was thinking very hard :
    The SPA3102 requires you to already have a router, it's the Fritz!box
    that Ivor suggested that would replace it (the 7050?)

    The PAP2 is the same, basically, as a Linksys/Sipura SPA2000. You are
    quite correct that it has no PSTN integration - which was why I drew
    your attention to the 3102 & the Fritzbox.

    You could achieve what you're after with two ATAs - an SPA3102 & an
    SPA1001, however, the phone connected to the SPA1001 would add some
    complexity to enable it to dial over the PSTN.

    Is that a trick question?

    If you present your PSTN number on an outgoing VoIP call, anyone
    returning your call would come in on your PSTN.

    Jono, Aug 1, 2006
  7. Mike Saunders

    Graham. Guest

    Thus freeing his voip phone for making calls. Not a trick question, in fact
    exactly what I would want to do.

    When I used 1899voip a sometime ago, I discovered that as long as a
    particular number was registered with them to use your account with the 1899
    service, you could get your voip device to use that number as its outgoing
    CLI.
    The number could be real or fictitious such as 020 0000 0000. The annoying
    thing is that my PSTN number would not work.

    Graham., Aug 1, 2006
  8. Mike Saunders

    Jono Guest

    Graham. expressed precisely :
    Yeah? You snipped the trick question, though:

    Jono, Aug 1, 2006
  9. Mike Saunders

    Graham. Guest

    I see what you mean now. I wouldnt have thought the OP would want to port
    his PSTN number to voip and get a new PSTN number for incoming calls, and
    diverting them would be expensive.

    Graham., Aug 1, 2006
  10. Yes that is what I would expect I could then either receive calls on
    PSTN with its No as well as VOIP calls with its different No. If I
    make calls using Voip then the receipient would think I was calling
    from PSTN. This would mean not having to redirect my PSTN No to Voip
    and result in me calling from Voip and mainly receiving with PSTN Not
    sure if it possible or whether I would want it just wanting to
    understand all the options

    Mike

    Mike Saunders, Aug 2, 2006
  11. Mike Saunders

    Ivor Jones Guest

    If you're on cable, you can disable the internal ADSL modem.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 2, 2006
  12. Mike Saunders

    Jono Guest

    Ah, but are you still "Still a bit confused"?

    Jono, Aug 2, 2006

  13. Too many options with technology these days

    Mike

    Mike Saunders, Aug 2, 2006
  14. Mike Saunders

    Brian A Guest

    Your choices are narrowed down considerably by the need for a PSTN
    connection on your ATA. So, ATAs that don't have that facility don't
    need ot be considered.
    If I have understood you correctly you want 2 independent lines.
    These requirements, collectively, are not so easy to achieve.
    So, although you think you may have a lot of choice you really
    haven't.
    Your spec. demands 2 independent lines and PSTN.
    I would guess that one of your lines would have PSTN as the main
    incoming number and then you would have an additional line which was
    VoIP for incoming calls.
    At this moment I can think of solutions but they don't come in a
    single, stand alone, ATA. A Fritz Box, as suggested, is a 'one
    box' answer. There is a range of them, it is a case of choosing the
    one you need and then hunting round for the best price.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 2, 2006