    Don't know where the ".2" comes from with 10.29M RGB sensors, but the SD-9
    and 10 are finally properly classified.

    Good for Steve's Digicams.

    George Preddy, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Looks like a boo-boo. According to the review, the SD10 can produce
    images up to 2268x1512 pixels; when I do the math, that's a wee bit short
    of 10,200,000.

    Albert Nurick, Oct 27, 2003

  3. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    The information you have quoted is highly innacurate

    Lionel, Oct 27, 2003
  4. George Preddy

    Mark Herring Guest

    Sorry, George.....The Sigma/Foveon cameras are NOT10Mp according to
    the prevailing standard. I can back this up with all the theory and
    data that anyone cares to listen to.

    In common practice, xx Mpixels refers to the number of independent
    spatial samples that can be used to create spatial resolution---ie
    detail. Sigma/Foveon simply are not following this standard.

    We desperately need some kind of official standards (like maybe ISO
    film speed). Until we get them, we owe it to ourselves to follow the
    de-facto standards---as maybe 80-90 of the vendors are doing.

    Shame on Steve's or dpreview or anyone else for perpetuating and
    credibleizing (there's a good one!!) the claims of a small minority
    trying to find their niche.

    -mark
    digital photos, more and better computers,
    and never enough time to do the projects.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to No

    Mark Herring, Oct 28, 2003
  5. George Preddy

    Leicaddict Guest

    Lionel, shove it up your ass. If you are going to accuse someone of
    being wrong, then back up your statement with a counter-fact.

    Leicaddict, Oct 28, 2003
  6. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on 28 Oct 2003 02:18:57 -0800, in this august forum,
    (Leicaddict) said:
    Troll, are you actually stupid enough to think that your lame
    'forgeries' of us will trick Leicaaddict & I into fighting? If so,
    you're even dumber than I've been thinking, (if that's possible).

    Kisses,

    Lionel.

    Lionel, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Not a good first attempt.

    George Preddy, Oct 28, 2003
  8. The SD-9/10 takes 10.3M indepentent spatial samples, so sure they are.
    Here's the chart again...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/22273598
    Here is how it works, for real. To sense 1 full color Bayer uses a 4 sensor
    set...
    -----
    RG
    GB
    -----
    It outputs 4 interpolated color pixels which all center on that 1 sensed
    color. Any color variation between those 4 pixels is artifactual (a much
    better word than credibleizing). The extra G is wasted, because in a 2x2
    grid one of the 3 primaries has to be wasted. So it uses the extra G to
    tune overall luminance a little, then throws the extra-green info away.

    Foveon uses 3 sensor to sense 1 full color...
    -----
    -----
    Where X is a complete RGB set aligned in depth. It outputs 1 pixel with 1
    non-interpolated color (with a known, not sampled, luminance value).

    The end result is the Bayer scales all of its images up by 4X, Foevon
    doesn't. Simple scaling up (interpolating) doesn't change optical
    resolution one bit. So theoretically, the the SD-9 is exactly the same,
    optically, as a 13.7MP Bayer, which not coincidentally is the SD-9's
    (optional) interpolated MP output.

    But... only when color is sensed. For B&W targets the Bayer performs much
    better, color interpolation is closer to 100% effective when no color is
    involved.

    George Preddy, Oct 28, 2003
  9. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:30:48 +0900, in this august
    Sorry, but this is utter bullshit. You clearly don't understand the
    meaning of the phrase: "independant spatial samples". Three photosites
    stacked on top of each other only counts as a single spatial sample.

    Lionel, Oct 28, 2003
  10. I would assume that any of the demosaicing algorithms used in current
    cameras are far more sophisticated than your simple model...all you
    have to do is read a few of the papers, and there are hundreds to see
    the options. None of the ones I have read discard any G data and use
    moving sampling structures of (many) adjacent pixels with weighting
    schemes. No one knows what any of the major manufacturers have
    incorporated in their firmware but your illustration is clearly bogus.

    Mike Latondresse, Oct 28, 2003
  11. SNIP
    sensor

    Wrong!

    Depending on the actual algorithm, *each* pixel uses its 8 independent
    surrounding pixels (or more) to reconstruct the RGB triplet.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 28, 2003
  12. George Preddy

    mark herring Guest

    Nope--sorry. Independent spatial samples means they are taken in different
    parts of the scene. Basic sampling theory--well documented. contact me
    privately for the references

    mark herring, Oct 28, 2003
  13. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    It proves 3 things.

    --Sigma and Foveon are using marketese to "boost" their sensor
    --Steve's D's have bouhght the line, or been paid to do so
    --Steve's D's are just as gullible as you are.

    Alan Browne, Oct 29, 2003
  14. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    It does not throw the extra green away...

    George: we know how to count. That's why we can count 3.4 Mpix on the
    Foveon and 11 Mpix on the 1Ds. 'Cause there ARE 11 Mpix on the 1Ds.

    Alan Browne, Oct 29, 2003
  15. Interesting response.

    George Preddy, Oct 29, 2003
  16. Same amount of raw optical data, any way you juggle it.

    George Preddy, Oct 29, 2003
  17. The Foveon has better spatial separation between color samples, much better,
    almost 2X better.

    George Preddy, Oct 29, 2003
  18. Count the pixels in this SD-9 image...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/22500119/original

    What do you get?

    George Preddy, Oct 29, 2003
  19. There is another possiblitly.

    --You didn't know Bayer counts 1/3rd color sensors as full pixels when
    rating their cameras.

    George Preddy, Oct 29, 2003
  20. George Preddy

    peterkip Guest

    George,

    Can you please show me how I can get 10.3 megapixel images from my SD-9? The
    biggest images I can get are 2268 X 1512 which are about 3.4 megapixels.

    Pete

    peterkip, Oct 29, 2003