    with laptop with Belkin Wireless Notebook Card.

    I need something I can sit down and read over very carefully.
    Belkins own instructions do not do that for me.

    Glenallan, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Carey Holzman, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Glenallan

    Glenallan Guest

    Thank you kindly for your response.
    Looks really good and just exactly what I want.

    I shall print it off tomorrow.

    Thank you again

    Robert
    -------

    Glenallan, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Glenallan

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Glenallan

    Glenallan Guest

    How do I 'enable' my 'Local Area Connection' Icon

    It is not visible and message says I sjhould activate the service.

    Thanks again...
    Robert
    ------------

    Glenallan, Dec 28, 2004
  6. If the icon appears, but is shaded out, right-click on it and select enable.
    Otherwise you will need to install a network card.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Glenallan

    Glenallan Guest

    When I look in the Device Manager I see
    the following 4 Network Adaptors

    1394 Net Adaptor
    Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP
    Belkin 54 Mbos Network Adaptor
    SIS 900- Based PCI EthernetAdaptor.

    These do not show in the Star / Control Panel /
    Network Connections page

    The above devices are reported as enabled and working properly.
    They are not greyed out, Carey. They are just not there.

    Puzzled.

    Cheers...Robert
    -----------------

    Glenallan, Dec 28, 2004
  8. You mention having a desktop and a laptop. Which PC are you referring to in
    this most recent response and what operating system is it running?

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Glenallan

    Glenallan Guest

    It is an HP Pavilion t430.uk running WinXP with
    Service Pack 2 installed (about 9 months old)
    256mb DDR / 2 .7 Gh Celeron /120 GB HDD

    This will be the Base machine.
    ------------------------------

    I intend to link a brand new Laptop
    Packard-Bell easynote H5
    Pentium 4 / 3.2Gh 60 G HDD
    Running WinXP with SP2 to it.

    later on I want to introduce an older
    Desktop Packard-Bell on Win 98 but
    that's for another time

    Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

    Regards ....Robert
    ------------------

    Glenallan, Dec 28, 2004
  10. What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  11. Glenallan

    Glenallan Guest

    It is headed Network Connections.
    Down the LH side of the sreen it says.

    Create New Connection
    Setup a home or small office network
    Change Windows Firewall
    ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
    the
    main part of the screen)
    SEE ALSO
    Network troubleshooter
    ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
    the
    main part of the screen)
    OTHER PLACES

    Control Panel
    My Network Places
    My Documents
    My Computer
    -----------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
    the
    main part of the screen)
    DETAILS
    Network Connections
    System Folder

    That's it. There is nothing on the field where you'd expect to see the
    icons.
    It does of course say that the Network has to be enabled as stated
    previously.

    Cheers...Robert.
    -----------------

    Glenallan, Dec 28, 2004
  12. Glenallan

    Glenallan Guest

    PS. I cannot start the Network Setup Wizard.either.
    Is this a clue.?? Suppose I restore to an earlier time??
    Would that help.

    Cheers...Robert
    -----------------

    Glenallan, Dec 28, 2004
  13. I would recommend you remove/uninstall all of the network devices in the
    Device Manager and then allow the computer to search and locate/install them
    again.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  14. Glenallan

    Glenallan Guest

    Carey,

    OK. That is what I will do.
    Thanks for having a look at the problems.
    I just 'know' that your setup instructions will
    work once I get access to the Icon.

    Cheers...Robert
    -----------------

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  16. Glenallan

    Tony Guest

    Hi,

    Can you go to control panel, add or remove programmes, click on add/remove
    window components, scroll down to networking services, click on it then
    click properties and confirm that the following services are selected:

    Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client
    Peer-to-peer
    Simple TCP/IP Services
    UPnP User Interface

    If they aren't there, add them and reboot. If they are there cancel out and
    right click on My Computer then click on Manage.

    Go down to Services and Applications and click on services. Look for
    Network Connections. Status should be Started, Start Up Type should be
    manual. If it is not started, double click on it and click start where it
    says Service Status. Change from disabled to manual if it says disabled.

    Tony, Dec 29, 2004