    is, where? - And, my question is, why don't those who claim it for their own
    get together and reword it to remove those parts which are the most
    ambiguous?

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    Maybe if you give me an example of one of these ambiguous portions, I could
    understand more specifically what you're referring to. I agree that a
    **casual** reading of the Bible would seem to indicate vastly differing
    texts.

    Mark M, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    OK... Even a not-so-casual reading might leave one with this impression.
    :)
    I believe it's better than you think, though.

    Mark M, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    Of course!
    :)

    Mark M, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Montana, one of the reddest states, has a new Democratic governor.

    First-time candidates for state legislatures from Hawaii to Connecticut beat
    incumbent Republicans.

    And a record number of us voted to change course -- more Americans voted
    against George Bush than any sitting president in history.

    Today is not an ending.

    Regardless of the outcome yesterday, we have begun to revive our democracy.
    While we did not get the result we wanted in the presidential race, we laid
    the groundwork for a new generation of Democratic leaders.

    Democracy for America trained thousands of organizers and brought new
    leadership into the political process. And down the ballot, in state after
    state, we elected Dean Dozen candidates who will be the rising stars of the
    Democratic Party in years ahead.

    Tens of millions of us are disappointed today because we put so much of
    ourselves into this election. We donated money, we talked to friends, we
    knocked on doors. We invested ourselves in the political process.

    That process does not end today. These are not short-term investments. We
    will only create lasting change if that sense of obligation and
    responsibility becomes a permanent part of our lives.

    Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become
    silent about things that matter."

    We will not be silent.

    Thank you for everything you did for our cause in this election. But we are
    not stopping here.

    Governor Howard Dean, M.D.

    P.S. -- Join others in your community tonight at the Democracy for America
    Meetup to celebrate your hard work and discuss the next steps for your local
    group: http://dfa.meetup.com

    Riain Y. Barton, Nov 8, 2004
  6. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    Oh brother.
    Here's a picture you need to see...
    ....It's a map of the nation's voting preference...county by county.
    Click here:
    http://www.sendpix.com/albums/04110719/qhlrot2ygw/

    Click thumbs, then click image again...
    -And by the way... the graph in the second picture shows the reversal of the
    jobs trouble.
    -Most significant? -It begins shortly after Bush's job initiative in the
    summer of 03.

    Now... What was that about laying a Democrat foundation???
    Let's see...
    Senate? No. -Republicans gained 4 seats.
    House? No. -Republicans gained again...
    Senate Minority leader Daschle? -Gone...replaced by GOP in his state.
    State Governors? -Republican governor in majority of states.
    State legislatures? -Republican majority in majority of states.

    And... The long-held myth that big turn-outs always favor Democrats?
    -Put to rest.

    Mark M, Nov 8, 2004
  7. If our goal was "murdering" innocent Iraqi women and children,
    I agree that we should have just let Saddam do his thing. He killed
    more of his own citizens before lunch than we did in the entire war.
    They are what makes you free to say stupid things in public
    without fear of being beheaded.

    Richard Crowley, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Sparrow

    Mike Henley Guest

    Your fault obviously if I understand correctly from your reply that

    Several centuries after the christian inquisition put Copernicus and
    Galileo through trial and torture here comes, I assume, a christian
    apologist who dares to utter the word "gravity", and, most ironically
    or audaciously, even use it in a twisted analogy to further his
    argument for scripture and superstition.

    It is science that would say if you hurl yourself off the tops of
    buildings you'll fall, and for the same reason the Earth orbits the
    Sun and if you're denser than a liquid you'll sink; scripture and
    superstition would say that jesus walked on water!

    I wish those who choose the path of stupidity would see the morality
    in the tale of a man who several centuries ago discovered the
    isochronism of the pendulum, and later on constructed the telescope
    with which he proved the theory of another man who put forth a century
    ealier the idea that the Earth, rotating on an axis, orbits around the
    Sun once a year. Both men were tried and tortured for violating
    scripture and superstion by those who, in the words of Galileo in his
    letter to Kepler, "replete with the pertinacity of the asp, have
    steadfastly refused to cast a glance through the telescope".

    Don't even mention "gravity"!

    Mike Henley, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Except it doesn't require an abortion to be performed, unless you think that
    cultivating a sample of human cells in a petri dish is remotely comparable.

    which it isn't.

    blocking medical progress based on misinformation is worse than the crap
    that PETA get upto afaiac

    James Boswell, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Sparrow

    Susan Cohen Guest

    I thought that blocking medical progress based on misinformation is
    *exactly* the crap that PETA get up to - when they aren't doing worse.

    Susan

    Susan Cohen, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Sparrow

    Mike Henley Guest

    What validity and legitimacy are we talking about?

    The constitution was an agreement between men, written by men, for
    men. The bible, it is often claimed, represents the words of "God",
    "revealed" to a messenger, and as such, "divine" and "holy". That, I
    can not ever see as valid or legitimate; the concepts of a "God" as a
    source of authority or "revelation" as a dictation of morality are
    erroneous from the roots.

    Mike Henley, Nov 8, 2004
  12. Sparrow

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mike Henley wrote:

    So are the charters for these newsgroups. Time perhaps to take this subject
    where it might be welcome.

    Alan Browne, Nov 8, 2004
  13. Sparrow

    me Guest

    This election puts me in mind of a statement by Albert Einstein: "Only two
    things are infinite, the universe and man's stupidity and I'm not sure about
    the universe"
    I will not forget and I will not accept GWB!
    me

    me, Nov 8, 2004
  14. Sparrow

    Chris G Guest

    WRONG, Bush does not support GOVERNMENT FUNDED stem cell research. You left
    that part out, and yes I do like anyone with a brain would.

    Chris G, Nov 9, 2004
  15. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    Those theorists didn't defy scripture at all.
    They only defied a spiritually bankrupt CHURCH that had become a god unto
    itself.
    That church at that time was just one in a long line of religious
    organizations that became completely misguided in their interpretation of
    the scriptures. Nowhere does the Bible say to do any of the things they did
    related to those theories. Nowhere in the Bible does it give any indication
    that the Earth is the center of anything...or that it is flat...or anything
    related to these things. It wasn't the fault of the Bible that idiots used
    it as a manipulation tool for their abusive and ignorant ways.

    Mark M, Nov 9, 2004
  16. What in the HELL has this got to do with Ansel Adams???

    Tristan Jones, Nov 9, 2004
  17. Also, there are thousands of abortions every year that would take place
    anyway, and stem cell research has nothing to do with those. Abortion is a
    traumatic choice for a woman in any case....I can't imagine anyone that
    would have one just to contribute stem cells toward research. Most women get
    them because they got pregnant accidentally, and are too young and/or not
    ready to raise a child yet....Now, all these potential stem cells are just
    being wasted. there is no reason why they couldn't be put to some good use.
    It would be easy to make a law that says that stem cell donations must be
    made anonymously, and no particular fetus could be earmarked for any
    individual or individuals for any particular purpose, nor could any money
    change hands as a result of the donation.

    William Graham, Nov 9, 2004
  18. Sparrow

    Sander Vesik Guest

    Stem cell research to date has not killed anybody anywhere,
    regardless of whetever you consider a foetus to be anybody
    or not. Get your facts before posting.

    Sander Vesik, Nov 9, 2004
  19. Sparrow

    Big Bill Guest

    Actually, Bush doesn't want to spend Federal money to support research
    using fetal stem cell strains started after a certain date. Which is
    even more narrow a ban.
    Many tend to forget that Bush is the first president to federally fund
    stem cell research.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 9, 2004
  20. Sparrow

    Big Bill Guest

    Out of curiosity, other than satisfaction, what does this do for you?
    Do you think that the concept of putting your fingers in your ears and
    yelling, "La la la" will entice people to see your point of view more
    seriously?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 9, 2004