Stem Cell Research - Is it moral?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sparrow, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. The "chimp" saved 2 million Iraqi civilians, as you will soon see........

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    Your analogy was understandable, William.
    Most analogies are not foolproof, after all...
    Some folks tend to see more easily how analogies DON'T fit rather than
    recognizing the ways in which they do.
    I guess it's a glass half full/half empty thing.
    Or more sadly, the opposition is tempted to believe that if they can somehow
    twist YOUR OWN analogy against YOUR OWN argument, that they've somehow
    proven you wrong. All they really prove is that they are capable of missing
    the point. Don't blame them too much though, because we al tend to poke
    holes in things this way...
    :)

    Mark M, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Yes.....I claim that our guards should have given them a choice.....Either
    have their heads removed, or have their heads be covered with women's
    panties.....I think then we would have seen which punishment was
    worse.......

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004
  4. It's easy to espouse a cause, until you are asked to die for it.........

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004
  5. LOL!

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Yes.....I wish the Christians would reword their book, and settle on what it
    is supposed to mean, once and for all. They totally lose their creditability
    with me when they change/reinterpret the language on an almost daily basis,
    and then claim that their book is a definitive text on morality. It (the
    bible) contradicts itself on an almost page-to-page basis, and yet they (the
    Christians) claim that it is, "all true, and as pure as the driven snow". My
    father's favorite quote was Ecclesiastes 10-13, where it says, "A feast is
    for laughter, and wine maketh merry, but money answereth all things" - He
    used to say, "Pull that through your eye of the needle!"

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Ah yes...."It has been repeatedly challenged in court" is the relevant
    statement. It has lost, because of Roe v. Wade, which allows first trimester
    abortions and which was a Supreme Court decision. But the stem cell research
    thing hasn't even gotten off the ground yet. It too, will eventually make it
    to the Supreme court, and then the feathers will fly.........

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    The problem doesn't lie in a desire to re-interpret. Rather, it lies in the
    fact that many Hebrew and Greek words do not have an English equivalent.
    Their meanings can be very complicated so that translation is very
    difficult. Pinpointing specific words beyond the need for additional
    explanation is not always possible. This is why the study of Greek is such
    a major part of most theological seminaries.

    Mark M, Nov 7, 2004
  9. Sparrow

    me Guest

    And thank you jackass for compounding the problem!
    Have a Nice Day!
    me

    me, Nov 7, 2004
  10. Sparrow

    Skip M Guest

    Not to mention Neville Chamberlain...

    Skip M, Nov 7, 2004
  11. Sparrow

    Skip M Guest

    But it's so much more simple in William Graham's world, don't you think?
    Condemn beliefs that don't jive with your own, without any thought to how
    those beliefs evolved, or any thought that you might not be fully
    informed...

    Skip M, Nov 7, 2004
  12. Sparrow

    Mike Guest

    I agree, this is a very emotional issue for some, especially after the
    election.
    Most are responding on an emotional level, not a rational level on this
    issue.
    Unfortunately, emotions tends to cloud balanced good judgment. Stem Cell
    technology
    might change the world for the better - radically change health, improve
    quality of life,
    eventually lower health care costs for all, improve productivity, yada yada
    yada . . .
    Becoming the world leaders in stem cell research/technology will improve our
    standing in the.
    excluding of course fundamentalist of all stripes.
    I mention exporting the technology at a profit because what do we export
    besides weapons
    that makes us large pots of money?

    Bush's scientific adviser re: stem cell research is a fundamentalist who
    stated during the seventies that
    invitro fertilization would create a race of monsters. After >million
    successful invtro fertilization births
    he grudgingly admitted invitro fertalization is a good thing. He also wrote
    a literal interpretation of Genesis
    that states the earth was created in seven days. This is Bush's scientific
    adviser on stem cell research.
    Right now, today thousands of stem cells are going to be destroyed because
    US won't fund research on them.
    Did I mention the Federal govt's position of stem cell research is also
    racist?

    I see this country, going down the drain on almost every front. Stem cell
    research, if it pans out, could change that
    not to mention the potential it holds for improving the quality of life for
    millions, which will change the world for the good.

    Opinions are like assholes we all have one.

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 7, 2004
  13. Sparrow

    Mike Guest

    I failed to mention that I've enjoyed chatting with you - exchanging ideas.

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 7, 2004
  14. Sparrow

    Mike Guest

    Reasonable reply might be why should my tax dollars fund faith based
    programs? :)
    I don't think most of us will ever be satisified with how and why the
    government runs the country
    The next four years should be interesting.

    Mike
    \

    Mike, Nov 7, 2004
  15. Sparrow

    Ty Ford Guest

    You're boring the pants off of us and crossposting your crap to about 7
    groups.

    Please get a motel room for the night and resolve your differences.

    Ty Ford

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

    Ty Ford, Nov 7, 2004
  16. What beliefs? - If you can state them in plain English, then perhaps I
    wouldn't condemn them. But if you hand me a book that is completely
    contradictory on a page to page basis, then there are no, "beliefs" that
    anyone can point to with any certainty at all, and, in fact, the various
    sects of the religion are in continuous battle over the interpretation
    themselves.

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004
  17. All of which illustrates what is wrong with a two party system. If I agree
    with 55% of what Bush believes, and only 45% of what Kerry believes, then I
    am compelled to vote for Bush, even though I think that 45% of what he says
    is pure bull shit......This was, in fact, pretty much the case in this
    election.....

    William Graham, Nov 7, 2004
  18. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    You can no more ludge the Bible's validity based on disagreement of
    interpretation than you can the Constitution because of disagreement in it's
    interpretation. This is not an argument for it's perfection, BTW, but
    simply a statement pointing to a flaw in using disagreement as a basis for
    disbelief in it's legitimacy.

    Mark M, Nov 7, 2004
  19. Sparrow

    Mark M Guest

    I think it's accurate to say that many of those faith-based programs, such
    as drug rehabilitation, single-parent homes, battered women shelters, and
    homeless shelters have a very good track record in terms of successful
    treatment and restoration of people to productivity, etc. With this in
    mind, I think the rationale would be that they (the Feds) are choosing those
    programs based on the non-religious basis of selecting facilities that show
    proven results. If they are demonstrating success that is at or above that
    of non-faith-based facilities, then it seems reasonable to utilize whatever
    is shown to be a productive use of funds.

    Fine folks will disagree...but what else is new...
    :)

    Mark M, Nov 7, 2004
  20. Sparrow

    Mike Guest

    We've strayed from the original discussioon.

    Mike, Nov 7, 2004