    IPv4 on the inside interface and IPv6 on the outside?

    We have roughly 300 machines inside the network which would be a
    challenge to set to IPv6.

    eaglesix, Feb 9, 2011

  2. That's called "NAT-PT" and it is a horrible bad idea. IPv6 and IPv4 are
    completly different worlds like railways and streets.

    NAT-PT is a motorrail/auto train from the ipv6 perspective. From the IPv4
    perspective NAT-PT is so ugly, that we do not have a real world example for.
    Besides it's feels like an "office boy": You ask always the same person to
    do the work for you ;-)
    You lost about five to ten years, so hurry up!

    Lutz Donnerhacke, Feb 10, 2011

  3. eaglesix

    Sam Wilson Guest

    NAT-PT has been deprecated and other mechanisms (NAT64/DNS64) are
    preferred. To me NAT64 is just as horrible but probably works better,
    for some value of "better".
    I've been watching IPv6 for 15 years now and it's still not ready. The
    bickering between RA vs DHCPv6 or PI vs PA addressing is inexcusable at
    this stage.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Feb 10, 2011