    I just read yesterday that the next generation dvd disc is the WMV HD DVD that
    can currently be played only on computers and that the first disc of it was
    just recently publically released.

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Since you said "DVD" you are technically correct, I guess. However the
    next optical disc format for movies with be either HD-DVD or the
    technically superior Blu-Ray (which has the support of the major
    studios, a very, very important issue). HD-DVD *might* use WMV, that's
    what the DVD Consortium is talking about (as well as other compression
    schemes), but Blu-Ray will not use WMV.

    The smart money is on Blu-Ray.

    --

    "One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom,
    a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural

    --Hubert P. Yockey, Journal of Theoretical Biology

    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 7, 2004
  3. Mad Scientist Jr

    NeoRenegade Guest

    I'm glad to hear that. The fidelity of WMV is simply not good enough for
    professional use.

    - NR

    NeoRenegade, Aug 7, 2004