Static electricity shuts down ports

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bigE, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. bigE

    bigE Guest

    Phones: Cisco 7940 IP phones
    Switches: Catalyst 3550

    Basic problem: If a IP phone is shocked with static electricity the
    cisco switch will stop providing inline power.

    Detailed problem:
    Our IP phones are powered via inline power from the switch. If
    somebody shocks their phone the static electricity will shutdown the
    port the phone is connected to along with up to 4 adjacent ports. When
    this happens if you check the IOS it shows the following:

    FastEthernet0/18 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

    If you plug in a computer the port becomes active, but it will not
    recognize when a phone is plugged in. In other words, if the device
    requires inline power the switch will not recognize that the cable is
    plugged in. The ports will come back and power the phones again after
    0.5-4 hours. All of our racks are grounded.

    bigE, Jan 15, 2004

  2. bigE

    bigE Guest

    In case somebody else out there runs into this problem. There was a
    known bug in the IOS. The fix was to upgrade to IOS 12.1(14)EA1

    bigE, Feb 6, 2004

  3. bigE

    Pete Guest

    Do you have a bug ID from Cisco documenting this behavior?

    Pete, Feb 17, 2004