    What I am wondering if there are other things I need to do (beside
    getting a lot more active in keeping my unit clean) or watch to prevent
    this from happening again?

    Steven Chipman, Nov 30, 2005

  2. I've had the same experience lately with a machine that sits on the
    floor. Started getting blue screens, did a check and a lot of the little
    vents were stopped up with dust. Cleaned the machine out, no more blue
    screens. You should also make sure any cooling fans are running
    correctly. Quite a few of the machines I see have one or two failed fans
    but the customer doesn't realize it because another fan is running
    making it sound normal. Keeping drivers updated is usually a good idea.
    All the normal "safe computing" warnings apply: keep antivirus and
    antispyware up to date, etc, etc.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Would installing replacement fans be something I could do myself or is
    it advisible to get a professional to deal with it?

    Steven Chipman, Nov 30, 2005
  4. They're easy to replace. You can find them at computer stores or online.
    The most important one is the CPU fan, make sure you get one that's
    suitable for your cpu.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Steven Chipman

    SgtMinor Guest

    It's not a good idea to use a vacuum to clean a computer. Vacuum hose
    ends can build up static electricity that can fry sensitive components.
    Better to take the system outside and clean it with a can of
    compressed air.

    SgtMinor, Nov 30, 2005