    Rabi Sanchit Guest

    I'm getting a peeping sound when I try to start my computer. What
    could be the problem?

    Rabi Sanchit, Nov 23, 2011

  2. One thing that is not a problem is the beeper, it seems to be working fine.

    There is not nearly enough information to say what the problem is, but it
    might be the RAM has taken a bye, the boot sector on the drive is damaged,
    the power supply is not working. There are other things, but these are
    biggies.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 23, 2011

  3. Rabi Sanchit

    Paul Guest

    The beeping sounds have a pattern to them.

    A single beep, means "successful POST". You've probably heard that many times.

    Three beeps, silence, three beeps, silence repeating is one pattern.
    Two beeps, silence, two beeps, silence repeating is another pattern.

    These can indicate a RAM or a video card failure. So those patterns
    imply something is broken in hardware.

    One BIOS manufacturer, used much more complicated beep patterns.
    If you have such a complicated pattern, write it down, then
    post it here for more help.

    *******

    One other thing, the sound may not be coming from the computer
    case speaker, or from the piezoelectric speaker on the motherboard.

    The "peep" sound could be coming from the hard drive. The
    sound may happen, if the motor in the hard drive is having
    trouble spinning the spindle. The motor driver IC is programmed
    by the disk controller, to try a few different patterns, to
    "shake the spindle loose". The sound may be heard from
    outside the computer case. This isn't necessarily a big
    problem, but if you're concerned by it, make sure you have
    a backup copy of your internal disk, stored somewhere else
    (like on an external USB hard drive).

    The "peep" from the disk, will be weaker in amplitude,
    than the normal POST "beep".

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 23, 2011