starting VOIP without broadband and forwarding ALL calls to another Vonage number?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I live in New York. I have a flat in Central London. I just moved a few
    hundred yards away. My octogenarian mother lives in the flat all the time

    We need to retain the number we have had for fifty years. As I reported here
    earlier, BT wont cooperate in any way. I had OneTel in the UK and they make
    it pretty impossible to contact them, though I am sure they will transfer
    the number for me if the request comes through a voip service.

    There is, unfortunately, no chance that my mother would ever conceivably
    use the broadband connection for any other purpose. She WILL have cable
    television service, probably through some sort of digital service available
    in her area. Does anyone know the answer to the question Vonage wont
    answer to me: Can I get a Vonage service, set it up through the internet to
    forward ALL calls to my New York Vonage number and not bother with using it
    for outgoing calls at all?
, Mar 30, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ill take a guess, you want to port the number from Onetel to a voip
    provider, Vonage?

    As far as understand from group should be able to port a London 020
    code out to Voip presume Vonage UK are offering some sort of service to
    do it.

    You then want the UK Vonage account to simply forward calls to your US
    based Vonage number.

    But wondering if the UK Vonage end will look for their box connected to
    the service to keep the account alive?

    What about just getting a UK Vonage box/account and US power supply and
    plug the UK Vonage box into your US router?

    Have I got the question right :) ?

    Adam Aglionby, Mar 31, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. A UK Vonage service will only forward to UK numbers. A North American
    Vonage service will only forward to US and Canadian numbers.

    You could add a UK virtual number to your US Vonage service and forward
    the UK Vonage number to it.

    Alternatively you could take the UK ATA back to the US and use it
    there. You will just need to purchase a new power supply. Radio
    Shack carries them. You could obtain a new BT number for your Mother
    use the Vonage Simul-ring facility.

    As an aside: After privatization BT did improve enormously.
    Unfortunately the improvement didn't last. They are now impossible to
    deal with. I've no idea what NY City's Telcos are like. I can say
    AT&T, nee SBC, nee PacBel is worse than useless. Am I grateful for

    adrian_h_hudson, Mar 31, 2006
  4. Guest

    You have both got it right: All I want to do is to port a UK number to a US
    phone OR reroute all numbers which BT wont let me keep as I am supposedly a
    few hundred yards outside their service area to the number which is in the
    supposedly other service area. I didn't realise I could do this by opening a
    UK Vonage account and taking the router they provide to my New York address.

    (Can they not tell that I am not using the router in England?)

    Now all I have to do is to figure out why Vonage won't respond to my
    requests to do either of these months ago.
, Apr 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.