    So is it correct that MCSE never "drops" and you keep forever? And you can
    upgrade from MCSE to the other one with an upgrade path, thus starting off
    with MCSE is best?

    Igor M., Jul 8, 2009

  2. You should certify based on where your *experience* is.
    The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer credential is awarded in
    perpetuity, yes.
    For as long as the upgrade exams are available.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jul 8, 2009

  3. Igor M.

    PT Guest

    basically i do not agree because MCSE take 7 papers plus addtional 2 upgrade
    papers (if i am not mistaken).

    if you directly take windows server 2008 MCITP (Server Administrator) only 3
    papers will do.

    Why you plan to waste $ ? you can study your own for MCSE but take exam
    windows 2008 will be good and more cost effectively.

    this is my own opinion only.

    Peter (MCITP-Server Admin)

    PT, Jul 15, 2009
  4. This is correct. The MCSE2003 certification requires seven exams.

    The MCITP:EA (Win2008 equivalent) requires five exams.

    Correct, the MCITP:SA (Win2003 MCSA equivalent) only requires three exams.

    The MCSA2003 requires four exams.
    Because if you have *NO* experience with Window Server 2008, and five years
    of experience with Windows Server 2003, then you *SHOULD* be pursuing:
    [1] The MSCE (Win2003) certification, and
    [2] more *experience* with Windows Server 2008,

    and THEN when [1] and [2] above are achieved, it becomes worthwhile to sit
    for the MCITP:SA and/or MCITP:EA certifications.via the upgrade exams.

    But, of course. :)
    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jul 15, 2009
  5. Igor M.

    Chris M Guest

    I fully agree. If you have no experience with Server 2008 you may end up
    wasting money re-taking failed exams because you're trying to learn too
    much too quickly. If you have decent working experience with Server 2003
    then the MCSE could be a quick win.

    Besides, Server 2003 will be around for a good while yet.

    Chris M, Jul 16, 2009
  6. I think that most people should take both. Especially if they are still
    primarily working with Windows 2003 servers. Plus you should also get both
    the Server Administrator MSCITP and the Enterprise Administrator MSCITP. One
    does not encompass the other, they are complementary.

    BTW: There's no excuse for failing multiple exams. If you do, then you're
    not
    preparing. There is a multitude of study materials for almost for all but
    the most
    esoteric exams. Very seldom does an exam completely changed, as the 70-292
    did, years after it was originally released.

    IMO: The new MSCITP certifications require passing fewer certs because fewer
    and fewer people were achieving MCSE status. Just look at the numbers (see
    the
    link below). There are 395,830 Windows NT MCSEs but only 153,216 Windows
    2003 MCSEs. So when Microsoft says that the new certifications are more
    task/job focused, I read that to mean, we had to make it as easy as we could
    for people to obtain a professional level certification. Or in other words,
    fewer exams for any particular certifications.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certified.mspx

    I'm not completely knocking the ideal of task/job focused certifications.
    But unless you work for a large organization, you can't afford to be so
    specialized. You truly need the broader range of knowledge that the old MCSE
    exposed you to. So that means that you need to obtain multiple MSCITP
    certs in stead of just one MCSE.

    Harvey Colwell, Jul 17, 2009
  7. Igor M.

    JD Guest

    JD in Phoenix:

    I think you are looking at this the wrong way. Certifications are aimed at
    you learning how to support specific operating systems. If you think you are
    likely to be supporting Windows Server 2003, then you should become an MCSE
    2003. If you think you will only be supporting Windows Server 2008, then just
    take those tests. I will tell you that in my opinion, you will be supporting
    quite a bit of W2K3, as as time goes on more W2K8. I will also tell you,
    again, in my opinion, that some of the best stuff I have ever learned while I
    was studying for certifications, was material I studied for the MCSE 2003:
    Security 70-298 and 70-299 tests. Again, what is your goal? If you just want
    to get the cert, then go for it. If you really want to be a well qualified,
    well trained, well rounded systems engineer AND be certified, then go the
    whole route and get both MCSE 2003 and MCITP W2K8.

    My opinion, for what it is worth.

    JD, Aug 12, 2009