'Start Button' freeze on Win XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Orrett, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi all, been trying to fix a friend's pc that was having problems. He
    described it as 'locking up', and said I could wipe it clean and
    reformat with Win XP Home.
    The PC in question is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 600 standard spec, with a
    Gigabyte GA-8STXC MB with Sis chipset.The system has 256MB memory.
    When I originally turned the system on, I got no graphics at all, just a
    BIOS beep code. I checked the AWARD BIOS codes and it described a video
    error, so I took out the AGP card, and replaced it with an old PCI one
    that I had, and it started fine. I've done a fresh install on it, but
    whenever I click on the 'Start' button, the PC freezes totally - no
    hourglass, just a frozen system. Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work, and it has
    to be turned off. I can access the internet, open all progs etc, play
    around with the desktop settings etc, but as soon as the 'Start' button
    is locked, it freezes!
    I've downloaded the Sis IDE drivers off the Fujitsu-Siemens support
    site, but no difference.
    I've tried a USB keyboard and mouse, but they don't make any difference.
    Any thought on what it might be?
    Best wishes,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 29, 2006

  2. John Orrett

    Evan Platt Guest

    Bad memory?

    Evan Platt, Dec 29, 2006

  3. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    No, I put a good stick of 512 in, and still no joy. Forgot to say, it
    works in Safe Mode, just not normally. There are no other progs
    installed apart from Win XP Home.
    Thanks for the advice,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 29, 2006
  4. John Orrett

    Shep© Guest

    Try these google links,
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=start+button+freeze+winxp&meta=

    HTH :)

    Shep©, Dec 29, 2006
  5. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi Shep, I'd already tried most of those :). Now, when I start the PC,
    it gets past POST and just restarts! How annoying.
    Think I'll reformat and start again. Just ran PowerMax on the Maxtor HDD
    and that came up clean as a whistle.
    Back to the drawing board.
    Thanks for the link anyway,
    Regards,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 29, 2006
  6. John Orrett

    Shep© Guest

    Re-formatting is usually a waste of time and no guarantee of a good
    setup.

    Try a repair install
    and or a video driver cleaner and re-install video drivers and mother
    board drivers,

    Shep©, Dec 29, 2006
  7. John Orrett

    Craig Bosman

    Joined:
    May 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same Problem

    Hi,

    I have had the same problem with 4 computers. Same exactly...

    I have just had another laptop showing these symptoms. Thought it might be Microsoft Silver;light problem, but uninstallling didnt help. Did you come right or just re-install windows?

    Must be a windows update issue though...or a virus that hits XP.

    Thanks Craig.

    Craig Bosman, May 9, 2011