    In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars at top and
    bottom are barely noticeable.

    I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.

    TNEXTWAVE, Sep 26, 2004

  2. TNEXTWAVE

    What The Guest

    AR 1.85:1 shows less "black bar" then AR 2.35:1.

    What The, Sep 26, 2004

  3. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    Star Wars is 2:35:1, as is SeaBiscuit. Be prepared for large black bars and
    a wonderfully wide screen.

    luminos, Sep 26, 2004
  4. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    PS

    If you don't like this, don't ever watch Ben Hur which has an even wider
    aspect ratio.

    luminos, Sep 26, 2004
  5. TNEXTWAVE

    zmike6 Guest

    I's a 2.35:1 ratio, film, which means on a typical 4:3 TV set, about
    43% of the picture area will be black bars, and about 57% of the area
    will display the film. That being said, even on a not-so-large 27"
    TV, I prefer the widescreen version to avoid losing a big part of the
    movie. It comes down to: do you want your TV screen filled but only
    see part of the film; or do you want black bars on your screen so you
    can see the whole film?

    zmike6, Sep 26, 2004
  6. TNEXTWAVE

    What The Guest

    Doesn't worry me at all, the information was for OP.

    What The, Sep 26, 2004
  7. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    Sorry the message nesting got fouled up. I was writing to the OP.

    luminos, Sep 26, 2004
  8. To solve the problem of black bars, you COULD do this:

    a. Hang a curtain valance on the top....
    b. Hang a set of curtains on the bottom.

    All the action, then, is taking place outside your windows.

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Sep 26, 2004
  9. TNEXTWAVE

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Here's a demonstration:

    http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 26, 2004
  10. TNEXTWAVE

    Mark Jones Guest

    Not too bad on my 65 inch 16:9 HDTV.

    Mark Jones, Sep 26, 2004
  11. TNEXTWAVE

    Mark Spatny Guest

    TNEXTWAVE, says...
    They are the correct size.

    Mark Spatny, Sep 27, 2004
  12. TNEXTWAVE

    Jordan Lund Guest

    There are several formats for widescreen... A normal tv image is
    1.33:1 and the least wide of the widescreen images is 1.66:1. IIRC the
    Star Wars flicks are 2.35:1 so it should be pretty wide. I have black
    bars on my set and it's a 16:9 set.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Sep 27, 2004
  13. TNEXTWAVE

    Eric R. Guest

    Star Wars is about the same as Seasbiscuit. You should buy the
    fullscreen version. It will fill your TV screen and you won't have to
    worry about those ugly black bars.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 27, 2004
  14. TNEXTWAVE

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Sep 28, 2004
  15. Mind if you hook me up with that crack you are smoking, because its
    obvious its good stuff. ;-)

    Seriously, anyone who tells someone to buy a pan and scan version of
    ANY film, and says "ugly black bars" has no respect for films in
    general, and should not be allowed to even own a DVD player.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Sep 28, 2004
  16. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    I took it to be satire.

    luminos, Sep 28, 2004
  17. TNEXTWAVE

    Video Flyer Guest

    Yup. Me, too.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Sep 28, 2004
  18. TNEXTWAVE

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    I assumed two things:
    1) sarcasm
    2) sincerity (I realize that these are contradictory) in that the OP
    clearly would rather fill screen than see picture, so he should buy what
    pleases him.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Sep 28, 2004
  19. Then he should stick to his VHS copies. Its worked for years
    for the "full" screen lovers, why should it change now?

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Sep 28, 2004
  20. TNEXTWAVE

    Eric R. Guest

    Buy what you want. Deserve what you get.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 28, 2004