    envisioned this all from the very beginning.

    I know I may be killed for saying this, so take care everyone...

    PhattyBOOMBatty

    PhattyBoombatty, Sep 22, 2004

  2. The filmmakers often have little input in making trailers and TV spots.
    It's possible a separate advertising department made up all that stuff
    just based on a cursory viewing of the film.

    So, Lucas still gets the benefit of the doubt on that one. Although i'm
    not quite convinced he had Vader, Luke and Leia concieved as a family in
    the beginning either.

    mike

    Michael Rogers, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Has he claimed that he always envisioned Vader as the builder of C3PO?

    Arthur Lipscomb, Sep 22, 2004
  4. PhattyBoombatty

    Sue Guest

    With no proof whatsoever, I, too, have always felt that Luke, Leia and
    Vader were unrelated in the 1977 Star Wars film. The small touches-Ben
    saying Darth killed his father in no uncertain terms, Leia kissing Luke
    and Luke being obviously smitten with her in a clear romantic sense,
    Vader in very close proximity to Leia and never guessing she's his
    daughter-indicate that, even if Lucas originally envisioned these
    elements of the story, he didn't put them into Star Wars.

    I mean, how can Vader be so close to Leia throughout all of SW, and even
    mind-probing her, and never once realize she's his daughter??

    And Luke's jealousy over Leia in the cockpit scene with Han is very
    clear-he's in love with Leia. Now, if Lucas knew they were brother and
    sister, I highly doubt he would include something so squicky. Plus, when
    the big secret is revealed, it's weird that neither Luke nor Leia make
    mention of the fact that they were once attracted to each other.

    I think SW was filmed with very basic storytelling elements in
    place-Vader's the big bad guy who killed Luke's father, Luke and Leia
    were the romantic couple-and things were only changed once the sequels
    were laid out. If you watch things such as the 1977 Making Of TV
    special, they actually play up the romance and talk about Luke and
    Leia's flirtation.

    In addition, there's the 1976 novelization, in which Luke's infatuation
    with Leia is constantly mentioned, with no hint of anything improper.

    So, yeah, I agree with you. Just a gut feeling!

    Sue :)

    Sue, Sep 22, 2004
  5. PhattyBoombatty

    Eric R. Guest

    Of course he didn't. That's why Kenobi ends up having to do moral
    gymnastics in ROTJ and why the "Luke/Han/Leah" love triangle is played
    up so much before the early 80's.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Sep 22, 2004
  6. PhattyBoombatty

    Dale Hicks Guest

    Just give him time.

    Dale Hicks, Sep 22, 2004
  7. PhattyBoombatty

    Invid Fan Guest

    Just read the script book and you'll see that, as they tell you exactly
    when the idea came up.

    Invid Fan, Sep 23, 2004
  8. PhattyBoombatty

    cal Guest

    Could it possibly be that SHE didn't know she was his daughter?

    cal

    cal, Sep 24, 2004
  9. PhattyBoombatty

    Jim Burgan Guest

    I mean, how can Vader be so close to Leia throughout all of
    Believe me, based on what we learned in The Phantom Menace, if Darth Vader
    stood before Leia and didn't notice the 'strength of the the force' in her,
    then she wasn't his daughter.
    There is nothing George can say that will convince me that he knew from the
    beginning that Vader was Anakin and Luke & Leia were siblings, and
    decendants of Anakin. He made it up as he went along and when I hear his
    comments on the new DVD commentary about this I just want to puke.

    Jim Burgan, Sep 24, 2004
  10. PhattyBoombatty

    GMAN Guest

    Exactly, he never intended on a sequal period. Star Wars was supposed to be
    it.

    GMAN, Sep 24, 2004
  11. PhattyBoombatty

    Sue Guest

    Course she didn't, but I don't think that would matter-Luke certainly
    didn't know he was Vader's son, but Vader sensed it anyway, and he was
    never as near to Luke as he was to Leia before the big lightsaber duel
    in ESB. With Leia, he was right next to her, getting into her mind, and
    he still didn't sense anything, if you go by the info in the OOT. This
    isn't some typical Force user here, it's the most powerful Force-type
    guy in the galaxy, next to Ben Kenobi. You'd think he'd pick up
    *something*. If Lucas intended all along for them to be related, I don't
    see how it's possible that Vader could have been so close to her for all
    that time and still be totally clueless.

    I, too, am of the opinion that Lucas was winging it. Which is perfectly
    fine, but it makes it kind of hard to be convincing later on when he
    tries to claim that he knew the three were related the whole time.

    Sue, Sep 24, 2004

  12. And that he had enough of a story for 3,6,9 movies. (Delete as applicable)

    You don't know about Elijah's giant rasta eyeballs with machine guns...

    StevenMcLennan, Sep 25, 2004
  13. PhattyBoombatty

    Peter Guest

    Of course he made it up as he went along. I once read an interview somewhere
    that originally Star Wars was Going to be Ep 1, and ESB was simply going to
    be called "Star Wars II". He planned on having a different cast, a different
    story. It was just going to be another adventure in that galaxy far far
    away. However he liked the chemistry of Mark, Harrison, and Carrie so much
    he decided to continue the story...

    Lucas is full of a lot of Contradiction. Don't take anything he says at face
    value.

    Peter, Sep 26, 2004

  14. Vader might have been smitten by Leia's resemblance to Padme that his mind
    may have gone back to those scenes in ep 2, with him & Padme on Naboo,
    smooching, etc.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Oct 9, 2004
  15. PhattyBoombatty

    Andrew Venor Guest

    In episode 4 Leia had no idea that she was related to Darth Vader. At
    that time she believed Bail Organa was her father. So Vaders attempt to
    read her mind with the probe wouldn't have revealed her true parentage.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Oct 9, 2004
  16. PhattyBoombatty

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    OK, so then how did he know that Luke was his son?

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 9, 2004
  17. The Emperor tells him he is in the newly released Empire Strikes Back DVD.

    Deborah Proctor

    Deborah Proctor, Oct 9, 2004
  18. PhattyBoombatty

    Jim Burgan Guest

    He didn't know Luke was his son because in Episode IV (A New Hope) Luke
    wasn't Darth Vader's son, nor were Luke and Leia siblings (Lucas wouldn't
    have allowed the incestuous kiss if he knew they were brother and sister).
    Lucas made it up as he went along and when he made the first Star Wars,
    ain't no way Lucas thought of Luke being Vader's offspring.
    If Luke and Leia were related, Vader would have felt it as a vengeance in
    the force.. Both would have had levels of midi-chlorians that Vader would
    have known it at once.

    Jim Burgan, Oct 10, 2004
  19. PhattyBoombatty

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Well how did he know it back in 1980? And if the emperor still told
    him, then why didn't the Emperor know that he had a sister?

    dick
    -- which Darth seemed not to know in ROTJ (original version).

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 10, 2004
  20. PhattyBoombatty

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Silly rabbit, Star Wars never existed prior to 1997. So George tells us
    now.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 10, 2004