    I know it's not my computer/DVD setup since other dvds (including ST First
    Contact) are extremely colorful and crisp.

    Are the other seasons any better?

    JY, Sep 16, 2003

  2. I've watched all 7 seasons and don't recall any significant
    pictures problems.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Sep 16, 2003

  3. JY

    TB Guest

    The later seasons especially from season 4 onwards show a marked improvement
    in video quality on all the home video formats. It's true the dvd sets
    regardless of how mediocre the earlier shows were originally shot could look
    much better as an A/B comparison of most of the episodes on dvd vs/ those on
    laserdisc show the laserdisc versions have better color balance and
    saturation. Of course, on the downside you have to trade the chroma noise on
    the LDs with the color posturization and other digital compression artifacts
    on the dvds.

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 16, 2003
  4. JY

    rander3127 Guest

    The whole show was one bad image. Soft filtering in sickening
    amounts. Compare it to a DVD of the original Star Trek, it will
    make you vomit.
    -Rich

    rander3127, Sep 16, 2003
  5. JY

    Impmon Guest

    Could be your season 5 DVD is bad? The one I have puts commerical VHS
    to shame.

    Impmon, Sep 16, 2003
  6. JY

    Aphelion Guest

    I noticed that the Season 5 eps seem to be "washed out" in comparison with
    the other seasons. But I seem to recall noticing that on the TV broadcasts
    too. They may have tried different lighting during that period.

    I'm a stickler for image quality on my DVDs, but I really don't mind this.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Sep 16, 2003
  7. JY

    JY Guest

    Now that you mention it I remember something like this too. (Though didn't
    note which season).

    JY, Sep 16, 2003
  8. JY

    JY Guest

    I thought of that but assume it's rather unlikely (or impossible?). The VHS
    episode I have *is* season 4, and as another poster remarked, season 5
    perhaps has a different look.

    JY, Sep 16, 2003