    For some reason sometimes when it is in standby mode and I press
    the power button (once only), the computer shuts off instead. I would say
    once out of every four time, this happens.

    lbbs, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Don't press power button,
    A mouse movement or keyboard touch should bring it back.

    Adelphia groups, Jan 1, 2004

  3. lbbs

    °Mike° Guest

    Why are you using the power button to return from standby?
    Use the mouse or keyboard.

    °Mike°, Jan 1, 2004
  4. lbbs

    lbbs Guest

    keyboard or mouse does not triger it on, only power button.

    lbbs, Jan 1, 2004
  5. lbbs

    °Mike° Guest

    Then configure it to return on mouse or keyboard!

    °Mike°, Jan 1, 2004
  6. lbbs

    lbbs Guest

    I have win2k pro, and the only config option is power button or sleep button
    (which I don't have on my computer)

    lbbs, Jan 1, 2004
  7. lbbs

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't think so...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prdi_pwr_ctlz.asp

    "Wake Events Windows 2000 Professional enables the system to
    automatically wake to handle events, such as backing up the system,
    downloading e-mail, and defragmenting the hard disk. This is done
    through Task Scheduler. For more information about Task Scheduler,
    see ?Introduction to Configuration and Management? in this book."

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jan 2, 2004
  8. lbbs

    lbbs Guest

    Ok, then if so, tell me which tab is it found under. No where does it
    have an option that sais, "hit any key to get out of standby mode". I
    read the microsoft site and it does not mention that option.

    lbbs, Jan 2, 2004
  9. lbbs

    Brian H¹© Guest

    lbbs said:
    Windows 2000 Professional is aimed at professionals.
    Professionals more often than not leave their pc's on 24/7 and would only really
    need to use a screensaver.
    The 2000 Pro also has a lot less "idiot help" as professionals are considered to
    know what they are doing, and how to use their software.
    This is why there are differences between OSes that are Pro and Home.

    A professional will set his screensaver with a password, so that when he/she
    comes back to the system and moves the mouse, a Login will be prompted.

    Brian H¹©, Jan 2, 2004
  10. lbbs

    lbbs Guest

    Ok, then if so, tell me which tab is it found under. No where does it
    have an option that says, "hit any key to get out of standby mode" I
    read the Microsoft site and it does not mention that option.

    lbbs, Jan 2, 2004
  11. lbbs

    lbbs Guest

    Who said anything about screen savers.

    lbbs, Jan 2, 2004
  12. lbbs

    °Mike° Guest

    You are missing the point. A keyboard press, or movement of
    the mouse is an "event" that standby should recognise, and
    respond to.

    °Mike°, Jan 2, 2004
  13. lbbs

    LoneWolfiNTj

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    What useless "advice"!

    Brian H. said:

    > Windows 2000 Professional is aimed
    > at professionals. Professionals more
    > often than not leave their pc's on 24/7
    > and would only really need to use a
    > screensaver. The 2000 Pro also has
    > a lot less "idiot help" as professionals
    > are considered to know what they are
    > doing, and how to use their software.
    > This is why there are differences between
    > OSes that are Pro and Home.

    Wrong in every single particular. I'm surprised this extremely obnoxious, unhelpful, counterproductive comment has stood here, unchallenged, for over SIX (6) YEARS. Well, I'm challenging it right now!

    It is not helpful in the slightest to, when you're cornered and don't know how give relevant advice to a question, throw up a smokescreen by saying that the person asking the question must be "unprofessional" and "doesn't know what he's doing" and "is an idiot" if he's asking such questions. Nonsense! The OP's posts were professional and led me to believe he DOES know what he's doing, and he is NOT an "idiot", but his Windows 2000 Standby mode STILL doesn't work.

    Well, guess what? *I* am yet ANOTHER "professional" computer user who DOES "know what he is doing", and guess what? My Windows 2000 Standby mode STILL doesn't work right, and hasn't from day 1 (back in 2000, when I installed it). I'm still looking for answers, and it annoys me to see people like you throwing up nothing but "you must not know what you're doing" smokescreens.

    And no, I know of no settings inside Windows 2000 for "Wake from Standby if detect mouse or keyboard event? Yes? No?" And I don't think you do either, or you would have specified. Folks here asked you in THREE (3) different posts to put up or shut up, but you failed to do so all 3 times. So I think you're full of hot air.

    Task manager only SCHEDULES tasks. It can wake the computer... but only by SCHEDULE, not by mouse or keyboard event. And even if it COULD do what you're saying (and it can't), what an awkward, clumsy way that would be to adjust Standby Mode! This is a dead end.

    My own current problem is that with my BIOS set to "suspend to S3", the computer, if put on Standby, only stays on standby for about 1 minute, then the power supply fan starts up again, the disk drives spool up again, the IDE LED stays on solid, the video remains off (pilot light orange, screen black), system doesn't respond to mouse or keyboard, BIOS-selected "resume from suspend" hotkey (Ctrl-F1) does nothing, and CapLock and NumLock LEDs don't respond to corresponding keys. In short, Zombie Mode. Pushing power button briefly does nothing. Pushing power button repeatedly does nothing. Holding power button in for 4 seconds or more causes soft power off. On restart, you're at BIOS, not at login. (IE, RAM has been wiped, not maintained.) In short, Standby doesn't work.

    And with BIOS set to "suspend to S1" instead, Standby mode becomes the same as "fully powered but locked" mode: power supply is full on, CPU and RAM are powered and active, HDs are spooled up, video is full on, and system is locked ("This computer is in use and locked; press Ctrl-Alt-Del to unlock"). That's not "Standby". I could get into THAT mode just by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del, Lock.

    Anyone here (other than this "Brian H", who obviously doesn't know) know of any way to get the "Standby" mode on Windows 2000 to actually WORK? Or is it just an abomination that never worked, and now never will, because the operating system became obsolete before Microsoft ever got around to fixing the problem?

    LoneWolfiNTj, Feb 12, 2010
  14. lbbs

    LoneWolfiNTj

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nope, that doesn't work.

    "Mike" said:

    > You are missing the point.

    What point?

    > A keyboard press, or movement of
    > the mouse is an "event" that standby
    > should recognise, and respond to.

    Since when? Even when I was able to get my computer INTO standby, to get it back OUT, I always had to push the front-panel power button; it never repsonded to keyboard or mouse while in Standby. And sometimes it didn't respond to power button either; the power supply and hard disks would spool up, but keyboard/video/mouse would remain offline until "Reset" was pushed.

    (And THESE days, I can't even get the machine to go INTO proper standby mode. See my response to "Brian H." a few minutes ago, where I lambaste him for calling folks here who can't get their Windows 2000 Standby Mode to work right "unprofessional idiots who simply don't know what they're doing".)

    So if you know of another method of waking a Windows 2000 computer from standby, other than pushing "Power", that actually WORKS, I'd like to hear it. I'm all ears.

    LoneWolfiNTj, Feb 12, 2010
  15. lbbs

    LoneWolfiNTj

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's a bit backwards, no?

    "lbbs" said:

    > I have my computer set to go in standby
    > mode after 30min and monitor after
    > 45min.

    Backwards. You can't turn the monitor off AFTER you enter Standby Mode, because Standby Mode ALREADY has turned your monitor off. So to make sense, your power settings need to turn monitor off after 30 min, and enter Standby Mode after 45 min. (That's assuming you can get Windows 2000 Standby Mode to work reliably, which is an iffy proposition at best, apparently.)

    > For some reason sometimes when it is
    > in standby mode and I press the power
    > button (once only), the computer shuts
    > off instead. I would say once out of
    > every four time, this happens.

    Probably because you do it when system isn't actually in Standby Mode. Look at the power LED on the front panel. Is it on, off, or flashing? If you're actually in Standby Mode, it should be flashing. But if you push the power button while the power LED is on-solid, you're going from "On Mode" to "Off Mode", not from "Standby Mode" to "On Mode".

    By the way, turning the computer off like that while the OS is still running is dangerous. It crashes the OS the same as pulling the plug from the wall would. It may cause problems ranging from minor logical disk errors (fixable by Chkdsk), to more serious problems which may prevent the system from booting again, such as corrupted registry hives (if a registry write is in progress when you push power off).

    My mom had that situation a few weeks ago. She pressed Power Off while the "Saving Settings" box was on screen. The next day, the OS wouldn't boot. It said "system registry hive is missing or corrupt" and froze. I had to boot the machine with a Windows 2000 install CD and fix the problem with Repair Console, by renaming SYSTEM to SYSTEM.BAD, and copying SYSTEM.ALT to SYSTEM. Moral: hives are fragile, so don't power-down while hive-write is in progress.

    LoneWolfiNTj, Feb 12, 2010