    A full stop is one pixel wide by one pixel high and I can see all of them on
    my screen anywhere they might be placed. You can't say that about most LCD
    screens which are sold with defective pixels.

    Agamemnon, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Bazzer Smith

    kony Guest

    You can see a blurry part of one, and the blurred adjacent
    pixels.
    But, you can say it on every LCD without defective pixels.

    You are conveniently ignoring that CRTs are not "perfect"
    either, they have their own gun-focus problems on flatter
    screens or glare on non-flat.

    So you're pro-CRT, ok... it's still a poor way to tile 4
    windows for use. Most people would laugh if they saw you
    trying to use it alongside someone use using 2 wide-screen
    LCDs for the same tasks.

    kony, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    Agamemnon Guest

    The are not blurred on my monitor.
    Not on my monitor.
    But I'd have twice as many windows open and on screen at the same time than
    they did, and at a higher resolution per window, so I'd be the last one
    laughing.

    Agamemnon, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    Cyde Weys Guest

    <snip question on whether to get a standard or widescreen monitor>

    I can't really say what would be best for you, but I do know what if I
    were in the market for a flat-screen monitor right now I'd go for a
    widescreen. Here's why ...

    My computer is basically my multimedia center. I do have a TV, but I
    only use that to watch live TV on. I download and watch lots of
    episodes that I missed on live TV (more and more of which are being
    broadcast in widescreen these days). Ditto for anime and movies; all
    new anime is pretty much widescreen and movies are exclusively
    widescreen (unless you buy the crappy pan-and-scan DVDs, but I don't).
    I watch all of this stuff on my computer because my computer has really
    nice 5.1 speakers and a nice sound card; my TV is just a normal TV.

    Also, I do believe all games coming out these days can function just
    fine in widescreen without having to do letterboxing. So when I look
    at the sum total of everything I do with my computer I see some stuff
    that would benefit from the widescreen and some other stuff that just
    plain won't be affected very much. It's the right choice for me.

    Of course, I already have a 20.1" standard flatscreen, and I can't
    really justify an investment to spend another $350 to replace it with a
    20" widescreen flatscreen; that's not worth it. But when I finally do
    need another monitor I will be getting widescreen.

    Cyde Weys, Jul 24, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    kony Guest

    It would be more accurate to claim your eyesight is too shot
    to notice. This is inherant in CRT technology itself, there
    is NO CRT that doesn't do it.

    Yes, on all of them, every last CRT on earth.
    Some do pretty good, you may not notice it much at all, but
    this is because it's a gradual deformation away from the
    center.

    You couldn't even use 4 as well as they do.

    kony, Jul 24, 2006
  6. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Some good points, but as far as watchng video on a computer I am
    nearly always watching in a box of some sort so the actual screen shape
    doesn't matter.

    I think if I get a new TV it will be WS beause the majority
    of programming is probably WS now (unfortunately) Sky Sports
    news is still 4:3 though.
    As far as films are concerned most films are wider than 16:9 so it aint
    gonna fit the screen anyway!
    I think I will probably find a big 4:3 with lots of pixels, but I would like
    to try a 16:9 to see what they are like to work on.

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    The reality is that it fits fine with properly designed widescreen TVs.

    Rod Speed, Jul 24, 2006
  8. Bazzer Smith

    Pyriform Guest

    Are you some kind of up-market homeless person?

    Pyriform, Jul 25, 2006
  9. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Hard to say really, I have a vaiety of uses, WS might be useful for
    displaying two poker tables for example, but I am not sure about this,
    the software might shape the table to suit your monitor shape
    (ie give a wide table on WS, but I am not sure, probably not I guess).
    I don't really game and I wouldn't think many games are suited
    to widescreen, its a pretty restrictive one dimensional format.
    Incidently I was playing a bit of the pinball game included with XP
    and it is fairly clear it is not suited to WS indeed it would have
    helped if my 4:3 monitor was much taller obviously because
    of the shape of a pinball table.
    I guess I that would be a nice place for the speakers mine
    are currently on the floor and a bit of a nuiscance there.
    Can't say I have realy ever noticed the flicker.
    Mine is 1024 X 758 max, actually I have just realised something which
    has made my mind up. When I play poker the standard table is 800X600
    so it fills the screen in my usual resolution of 800X660. when I switch to
    my highest
    resolution I can see one table fully and about 1/3 of the other which makes
    it
    easier but still very awkward to play too tables.
    Now with 1600X1200 I should be able to see *four* tables very nicely, one
    in each corner which will be great!! Indeed I will be able to do the same
    for
    any for standard 800X600 screens.
    So that settles it I must go out and get one ASAP!!
    Just have to decide which model now!!
    I guess the best way is to get down to the stores and see which one I think
    looks the best?

    I was thiking 17" at first but I guess I may go for 19" or more
    if the price is not extortionate!! Otherwise I might find the test hard to
    read.

    True but I think I have made my mind up now on a LCD 1600X1200

    It will probably be one of these lot or similar, no need for a TV tuner
    I think cos I get digital TV

    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...ll=true#(any):100:350:PageNo_1:SortOrder_DOWN

    However after having looked the problem is the max resolution is 1280 x 1024
    not 1600X1200 so that is a fairly big compromise not that much better
    than 1024X768 but I guess so I am kind of back to square one!!

    Where can I get one from?

    This one might do it but at £900 its well into the 'extortionate price'
    region!!

    http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail...4&f2=8&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f=2&t=4&ms=&k=&s=0&gt=

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  10. Bazzer Smith

    kony Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:08:56 GMT, "Bazzer Smith"

    1600x1200 is typically on 20"+, non-widescreen models. They
    are fairly common, it is a bit odd that PCWorld doesn't list
    any.

    I'm across the pond, don't know where. Just seek 20"
    non-widescreen, that's a start.

    If you want some makes and models to search for, use the
    info you can drill-down at Newegg,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2000190020+1109909238

    kony, Jul 25, 2006
  11. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    I can see I will have serious probs getting one at a reasonable price in the
    UK!!

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  12. Not really. They cost an arm and a leg so PC World probably wouldn't sell many
    from the shop, so not worth the shelf space. They may be common in business
    environments, but when you can buy a complete packaged system including a
    printer for less than a 20" display, that's what most home users will go for.

    I'm using an Iiyama Prolite E511S, which is a superb 1600x1200 non widescreen
    display, but I got it from a wholesaler after an internet search. You probably
    won't see anything of this size in ordinary high street shops, except in the
    Apple Mac showrooms, but then everybody accepts that their stuff is expensive.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Bazzer Smith

    Agamemnon Guest

    Not true.

    Since you obviously have never used a high quality CRT there is no point in
    taking this discussion any further.
    POPPYCOCK.

    Agamemnon, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Bazzer Smith

    kony Guest

    On the contrary, I've bought well-rated Trinitrons for years
    which have far above average contrast.

    I've also seen a shedload of monitors in my day, and they
    all have this issue that you deny. Perhaps if you ever open
    your mind a bit and buy a pair of widescreen LCD for a
    side-by-side comparison, then finally you will see what I
    mean.

    kony, Jul 25, 2006
  15. Bazzer Smith

    kony Guest

    Yes, really.
    Only recently were widescreen 20" becoming more common.

    Maybe in the UK, but I have no idea where you've looked
    either.

    kony, Jul 25, 2006
  16. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Have you considered a career as a comedy script writer?

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 27, 2006